man in black tank top and black shorts lying on brown concrete floor during daytime

“You already know that exercise is good for your body. But did you know it can also boost your mood, improve your sleep, and help you deal with depression, anxiety, stress, and more (Robinson, Segal, Smith)”? Exercise can surely improve your muscle capacity, trim your waistline and improve your physical health. Although this is part of the reason that most people exercise, people also workout for other reasons too. Exercising puts people in a “feel good mood”, giving them energy for the rest of their day while still allowing them to receive a good night’s sleep. 

Dr. Shawna Charles states on the Walden University official website, that there are five mental benefits of exercising. These five are listed as: help for depression and anxiety, decreased stress, increased self – esteem, and self confidence, better sleep, and brain boost. When exercising, the brain releases endorphins that are known as “feel good” chemicals improving the moods and decreasing symptoms for those struggling with a mental illness. Other chemicals released into the brain are known as neurohormones which improve the body’s response to stress. “Physical activity increases body temperature, which can have calming effects on the mind, leading to less sheep counting and more shuteye (Charles 4)”. Lastly, through the process of neurogenesis, the creation of more brain cells from physical activity, our brain’s level of performance increases. “Studies also prove that physical activity boosts creativity and mental energy. So if you’re in need of inspiration, your big idea could be just a walk or jog away (Charles 5)”. 

February 1, 2021 4:26 am

Hailey, I truly enjoyed your article and I also agree with you that exercise can help benefit your mental health. Since a lot of people are staying at home most are just staying in bed. This could take a large on someones metal health. Staying in bed could strain someone and make them less likely to get up and be active. With exercise people can feel healthier and have more energy. They may even seem happier which can be a total upbringing from being alone and in bed all day.

Ashley Arredondo.

January 27, 2021 1:45 am

Hello Haley, I found your post to be very relatable. I think it is very important to exercise as it has a positive impact on both your mental and physical health. With classes online because of the pandemic, I sit around usually all day doing my assignments and I also haven’t had basketball practice either in quite a while so I’ve been lazy lately. A couple of weeks ago I got back into exercising and I usually do it later in the evening once I’ve finished my work. I found it to really improve my energy and it’s easier for me to fall asleep as well. One line that you wrote that stood out to me was, “Other chemicals released into the brain are known as neurohormones which improve the body’s response to stress.” because when I’m working out I just forget about everything that’s going on in my mind and I’m just concentrating on my workout as it relaxes me. Thank you for writing, I hope to see more of your writing in the future perhaps on certain exercises people should practice every day to improve their health?
-Yamile Beltran

January 23, 2021 4:00 am

Hey Haley, I love how you chose this topic! At my middle school, part of our schedule was walking for 15 minutes every morning in between homeroom and first period, and we were told that walking, or exercising, can improve mental performance! I loved learning more about this topic. I especially found it interesting that exercise can improve sleep! This makes sense because we sleep better after we have used our body and our muscles throughout the day. I hope that this article has been informative for its readers, and I hope this article will motivate them to exercise more! Thank you so much for writing this article Haley! Nice work!

January 22, 2021 10:21 pm

Haley, I really enjoyed reading your article. I like how you said, “When exercising, the brain releases endorphins that are known as “feel good” chemicals improving the moods and decreasing symptoms for those struggling with a mental illness.” I liked this quote from the article because you explain what chemicals the brain releases and how they effect the body and mind. I like how you emphasized that exercise will help to increase your mood. In addition, I like how you explained other chemicals that are active when exercising like neurohormones.

January 22, 2021 8:22 pm

Haley,
I loved you ideas on this topic, I agree with your ideas about how exercise can be a very important component to good mental health. You blog post was also very well written and easy to follow, with this being an informative blog it made it easy to understand.

January 22, 2021 7:14 pm

Haley, I liked your blog post. It was very informative and easy to understand. I like that you focused on mental health and how exercise helps. I feel that not many people know that exercising can help with mental health and help reduce the effects of it. Your blog post was thoroughly explained how exercise benefits ones. mental health by explaining the chemicals that are released and how it affects ones being.

January 22, 2021 7:06 pm

Haley, I really enjoyed reading your blog post because it is about a topic that I am very passionate about as an athlete. I have always turned to exercise when I’m in a bad mood, or when I am just bit feeling great. Therefore, I really like that you write about the benefits of exercise and how it can improve mood, sleep, and even struggles with mental disorders. I also agree that your stresses can be helped greatly when you just go for a nice jog or walk to clear your mind.

January 22, 2021 3:02 am

Haley,
I really liked how you emphasized the importance of exercise on one’s mental health. When you mentioned the chemicals released in the body, such as endorphins and neurohorones, I gained a better understanding as to why we experience the benefits we do. I think it is important to bring awareness to the mental benefits to exercise along with the physical becuase it could really help people who need a place to let go of their stresses.

January 22, 2021 1:04 am

Haley, I really enjoyed your article about the benefits of exercising in regards to mental health. Sometimes when I feel overwhelmed and anxious about school or just life in general I will have to keep this article in mind. What especially stuck out to me was the 5 mental health benefits to exercising: depression and anxiety, stress, increased self – esteem, and self confidence, better sleep, and brain boost. I will always remember this whenever I am feeling down and need to boost my serotonin.

9
0
()