In the article, “Women’s History Month: Equal pay for U.S Women’s Soccer Team” (McGraw Hill) I learned that for many years women were upset of the fact that they get are getting paid thousands of dollar less than what men soccer players do ,even though they play at the same level. In 2016 and in 2019 some women soccer players sued the U.S Women’s National team for their unfairness in pay, however the U.S Soccer Federation responded by making comments that men should get higher pay because of the “superior speed and strength required to play men’s soccer” and this outraged many fans. As the federal judge dismissed the case in May 2020, they also responded by saying that women understood the pay gap that there was when they signed their contract, which is different from men’s because they are from different unions. Then after that several players on the women’s tea filled an appeal in July 2021 where their persistence paid off and the U.S Soccer agreed to a settlement. Which then allowed them to get all sorts of funds to support them, as well as getting equal pay.

I think this is amazing. After so many years of having to deal with this unfairness of equal pay, they finally got what they worked hard for. Women can work and play just as hard as a man can, therefore that should not prohibit them from getting the same amount of pay they deserve.

What do you think about Equal Pay?

April 26, 2022 7:37 pm

Dear Stephanie,
I enjoyed reading your post. I feel the same way as you do about women getting less pay than men. I agree with you when you said, “Women can work and play just as hard as a man can…” I feel like women are often looked down upon because we are seen as weak.

Thank you for your post about this and helping to bring awareness to this situation. I look forward to reading your posts in the future.

Brandi Alvarez

1
0
()