In the article ” Women’s History Month: Equal pay for U.S. Woman’s soccer team” ( McGraw Hill) I learned that the U.S. women’s soccer team has won two consecutive world cup championships those being in 2015 and 2019. They have been fighting for equal pay since 2016 because they wanted to know why they were getting paid thousands of dollars less than the U.S. men’s team. The women’s soccer team actually sued twice which was in 2016 and 2019 it was filed under the Equal pay act. Then they got a response back for the U.S. Federation and what they said was bad because they said male players deserve to get paid more since they have superior speed and strength. This made all kinds of fans upset and had an intense backlash this caused the president ( Carlos Cordeiro) to resign. Then in May 2020, a federal judge dismissed the case, saying that the gap in pay was because the woman had agreed to their contract. But in July 2021 the women’s soccer team filed an appeal, and it paid off because the U.S. soccer agreed to a settlement. What the settlement stated was that the U.S. federation will pay 22 million in back pay to the players and from now on the federation has promised to pay both male and female players equally for all games whether it’s tournaments or the world cup.

I think that what happened to the woman’s soccer team was unfortunate because they weren’t getting paid enough. It must have been a very tough fight because a lot of people did think it was fair. They have fought for a very long time and it finally paid off because now they are going to get paid equally as men for all games including tournaments and the world cup. But it’s a good thing that they fought because now they are getting paid equally as the men.

How do you feel about this situation? Do you think that they should have gotten paid equally as men since 2016?

0
()