As Halloween rolls around, and we start seeing ouija board decorations, grimoire notebooks, and pentacles both right-side up and reversed- in this day and age, we do not mind seeing these things around Halloween. Still, wearing anything with a pentacle on it when it is not this spooky season will get you a few stares and “are you a devil worshipper?” questions. I think we often forget the history of witchcraft around this time of the year, and we forget that witches, even today are demonized for practicing their craft. Perhaps we would be demonized less if more people understood what a spell was, that a pentacle represents good verse evil, and the five elements and that tarot cards do not predict the future.

First, witchcraft is a craft. It is not a religion. There are many witches who practice alongside Christianity in fact! Witchcraft is a very fluid and moldable practice. With it, you can make your own way to practice a religion, or something as necessary yet ignored, as self-care.

There are many misconceptions about the craft- again- like people believing a tarot reading will predict your future- that isn’t what it is, or what it does. A tarot reading simply gives you simple phrases to rephrase what may be going on in your life, and help push you in the right direction of mindfulness. Perhaps you do a past, present, and future reading about your dead-end job, and the card you drew for the future is death. That does not mean you are going to die, it means rebirth. Spells are another basic concept in witchcraft that is not understood by the general public. Spells are basically an alternative way of praying. Persay your friend broke their leg and you do a healing spell for them; their leg will not be magically better. Just as praying for your friend to heal will not magically fix their broken leg. It’s about intentions and sending positive energy to yourself, others, and the world.

In this craft, we honor nature, ourselves, and those around us. It is truly a very peaceful practice, and the notion that we go about hexing people is far from the truth. In fact, it is very looked down upon to ever hex anyone, and many texts, even texts dating back to the times of the Salem witch trials say “An ye harm none, do what ye will.”

Knowing more about witchcraft now, would you be interested in it/some aspects of it?

Works cited:

Natural Magick by Lindsay Squire

The Solitary Witch by Silver Ravenwolf

November 13, 2022 7:07 am

Dear Jimmy, I adored your text on, ” Witchcraft: What is it?” because it is impressive how people still think about witchcraft as people once did many years ago. It seems as if we haven’t progressed as we think we do.

One sentence that really was eye-catching is, “In fact, it is very looked down upon to ever hex anyone, and many texts, even texts dating back to the times of the Salem witch trials say “A ye harm none, do what ye will.” That sentence displays that witches weren’t and aren’t harmful or bad for society they simply have a different belief to society and their norms. I think it was a great phase putting it there to have evidence that the witches are harmless.

To answer your question, I would in fact be more interested in some of their aspects since knowing more about their true meaning for it. Although I have a question for you, in your article you add we, does that mean you think of yourself as a witch or a person related to that?

Fatima

1
0
()