Follow this link to see this comment in the original context.

132 people have already been killed this year by law enforcement, and it’s only March (Statista Research Department). Police brutality is a term used to refer to “various human rights violations by police,” which may “include beatings, racial abuse, unlawful killings, torture, or indiscriminate use of riot control agents at protests” (“What Is Police Brutality?”). This has been occurring around the world due to a “400 year problem,” but the idea of police brutality and actions of unnecessary force have both been around for centuries (Ahmad). Police brutality occurs among every race, ethnicity, and gender virtually anywhere in the world. Minority or impoverished communities, specifically African Americans, have had the most loss and been a major target for police violence, as news stories gained national attention this past summer. These actions “violate the right to be free from discrimination, the right to liberty and security, and the right to equal protection under the law” (“What Is Police Brutality?”). This is an issue because many people, sometimes even innocent people, are killed or wrongfully mistreated by those who are supposed to be there to protect, and most of the time there is little to no repercussions or consequences for the officer’s actions. 

Police brutality is most common within the United States, with “around 1,000 people” being killed every year by police,with some years having larger numbers than others. On a more global scale, an average of five people per day are killed in Rio de Janeiro, 122 poeple were killed in 2019 due to the actions of Kenyan officers, 600 protesters were killed by police in Iraq between October 2019 and January 2020, and over 500 people were shot and killed, with more than 300 shot and injured due to the actions of law enforcement in Jamaica (“What Is Police Brutality?”). As time goes on, this violence will only continue to worsen. We as a society should care about this issue because though it may not directly affect us, it affects the country as a whole in one way or another. If nothing is done to lessen or end police brutality, numerous people, even innocent people, will be killed at the hands of law enforcement and nothing will be done about it We will live constantly in fear of death, and the newer generations will think that this is normal, not realizing how grave the actions of the officers truly are. As a society, we should all work towards putting an end to this, and actions should be taken to prevent this from ever happening again in the future, whatever the cost. 

Ahmad, Mukta. “Police Brutality, a Structural and an Institutional Problem.” Medium, Medium, 

17 May 2019, 

medium.com/@m.ahmad/police-brutality-a-structural-and-an-institutional-problem-a840

6fb2339b.

Statista Research Department. “People Shot to Death by U.S. Police, by Race 2021.” Statista, 1 

March 2021, 

www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/.

“What Is Police Brutality?” Police Violence | Amnesty International

www.amnesty.org/en/what-we-do/police-brutality/.

Help on Youth Voices