In this modern generation the unhealthy trend of vaping has become popular. In the mid-2000s, the first e-cigarette was created to reduce/eliminate the use of cigarettes. However since then, the e-cigarette production has created a greater addiction among both adults, but mostly the youth. As technology has advanced, high-tech e-cigarettes have been produced and branded \popular, such as Juul and Puff Bars. Juul and Puff Bars have been one of the most sold e-cigarettes because of its popular demand among the youth. Due to it’s high production/sales it has created more health concerns for adolescents. 

In products such as Juul it has been in popular demand because  “According to the 2019 Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, what makes the Juul so popular is, ‘They are sleek, high tech and easy to hide… Juul comes in flavors that appeal to youth, including mango, fruit, creme, mint, menthol and cucumber. Research shows that flavors play a key role in youth use of tobacco products, including e-cigarettes.’ ” In summary, the leading cause for addiction is the addictive flavors provided in the Juul “Pods” (cartridge of nicotine) leading to it becoming addicting. 

Due to vaping, the arising health concerns are all lung related illnesses. One example is lung cancer. The main reason this is highly common with e-cigarette use is due to the chemicals within any nicotine pod. According to Doctors, they “… have had patients come in with the symptoms of people who were in a chemical spill, and it was caused by vape pens. Many states are issuing a ban on selling these flavored pens due to the number of issues that have been caused by them, including serious injuries or death.”

Melissa

Dear Maria,
I am interested by your post “Vaping in Adolescents,” because you explained E-cigarettes thoroughly. Nowadays, it is common for teenagers to vape at a young age.

One sentence that stood out to me is: “In summary, the leading cause for addiction is the addictive flavors provided in the Juul “Pods” (cartridge of nicotine) leading to it becoming addicting.” I think this is informative because not many people understand why vaping is so addictive. I personally know so many teenagers who start off with vaping and go into more drugs.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it is an interesting topic to talk about.

Melissa Aguilar

October 22, 2020 2:38 am

I completely agree with you, vaping has become very popular in recent years but mostly among teenagers. Like you stated, this is because of their highly addictive and appealing flavors like mango and mint. I believe that big tobacco companies are to blame in this situation mostly because of their advertisements. Some improvements that you could make is, make some connections between how past generations didn’t see the dangers cigarettes until years later.

I definitely agree with you. The advertisement that these businesses create make vaping seem youthful and safe. The different flavors they have and the way they are represented definitely appeal to younger generations rather than older. It is interesting to see how our society just moved past the cigarette era and suddenly corporations have to make a new smoking system which is probably just as harmful in the long run. We don’t know what the long term effects are so that would be something interesting to research.

It is ridiculous how popular something that is harmful to our health has become. You bring up good points of why they became so popular and the negative impacts it may have on people. Something that I am curious about is what impacts this will have 30+ years down the road.

I agree with you. With vaping being such a recent thing that has popped up, I think it is important to know that we don’t know much about it. I think this article https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/major-anti-vaping-scientific-study-retracted/ helps give good information about the research being put into vaping and things. You then later talk about the appeal of vapes coming in different flavors and colors which I agree with what you say about how they target the youth.

I agree that vaping has become widely popular among today’s youth. I also agree with your conclusion that vaping is triggered by a variety of appealing flavors. I believe that the trend of vaping will only continue to rise throughout the next few generations of youth. Unfortunately, so will poor health among teens. If you revisit this post, I think it would be interesting to add specific comments about the effects of vaping on teens as they age into adulthood.

Links to Resources: https://www.youthvoices.live/2019/11/04/is-the-juul-really-cool/?highlight=vaping https://www.youthvoices.live/2020/10/12/teen-vaping-2/?highlight=vaping

6
0
()