In the article, “The Limits of Student Speech”(Upfront) I learned that a girl named Brandi Levy didn’t make it to her school varsity cheerleading squad and she remained on JV. She then expressed her feelings to her friends with negative words and one of the school’s cheerleading squad’s coaches saw the snap and reported it. This then caused Brandi Levy to get a one year suspension from cheer. She then sued the school, winning the U.S Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. This debate on how far school authority has to punish students on off-campus speech.

I think the school should not limit students’ speech if it is off campus and I feel like depending on the types of things being said or done. I think it was wrong for the school to try to punish Brandi Levy for speaking out on her feelings of being upset for not being able to make the varsity team. Then having her being put off the team for a year which is excessive I feel. Schools shouldn’t limit students’ speech and I feel should only punish if someone is getting hurt. 

What do you think are the limitations of how far school off campus authority extends?

0
()