In an article from the New York Times, words are described as “conceptual symbols” that imply something more subtle than just the meaning of the word. They touch our sensibilities and spark certain emotions. People have favorite words because they’re what made us human in the first place. I feel that people’s favorite words draw out certain emotions and tell us more about that person – what they value, what they’re passionate about. 

In my own life, I have many favorite words. I’ve always wondered how this was significant or if it even meant anything. For me, certain words like perpetual, melancholy, and rapture strike strong emotions in me. When I see them written in a book or said out loud, I feel a strong attraction to these words. I like the way they roll off the tongue and I like their simple yet complex meanings. I think they offer a deep understanding of whatever context they’re in. They help the words on the page come to life. It’s hard to get the entire point across in writing and sometimes even in speech, but these words allow one to convey a more complex emotion.  

I’m never on the lookout for new favorite words, they just appear to me randomly. Sometimes, it takes multiple sightings of the word for it to appeal to me. When it does, I take note of it and pay special attention to it when I see it again. 

I often find comfort in these words as I find they relate to my personal life and describe emotions that I’ve felt but haven’t been able to put into words. It amazes me that something as simple as letters put together in a certain sequence can evoke such strong emotions.

GK Schatzman
November 3, 2023 12:25 pm

Thanks for these thoughts this morning, Allie! It’s so funny how certain words just stick with us. For years, I’ve loved the word “linger,” partly because of the way its sound reminds me of its meaning – how it catches and hangs between the ‘n’ and the ‘g’ and trails off indefinitely at the end.

1
0
()