Endlessly drowning in a pool full of emotions and weight. Paralyzed with fear and a place I could not escape. It all starts with your brain, reminding you what happened last time or the time before. The constant recurrence of memory nuancing your mistakes and failures. Anxiety. Throughout my entire life, I have had anxiety and it has controlled the way I think, act, and socialize with those around me. Many people without anxiety struggle to comprehend the very concept of mental health and how your brain is the control center telling you how to feel or how to act. Today, anxiety is stigmatized as something that can be “fixed” and has an overall impact on how the world, families, and communities react to people with mental health conditions. 

“One of the hardest parts of being a parent is watching our children struggle and not knowing how to help them (heysigmund.com).” Parents are our biggest cheerleaders in life and they teach you how to reach for the stars in everything you do. But your first instinct should never be to “fix it” and move on. Anxiety and other mental illnesses alike are not fixable but they are treated so you can cope with the disorder. Parents want what is best for you but sometimes they don’t realize that it is not only scary for them as parents but also for the person who has anxiety. Instead of “fixing it,” let them know that they are supported and loved! Furthermore it states, “All they’ll know is that they feel as though something bad might happen. This might come to you in many ways, including ‘what ifs’, avoidance, anger, tears, a sick tummy. Everything inside them is telling them something isn’t right, so being told there’s nothing to worry about won’t help, and runs the risk of making things worse. There’s a good reason for this (heysigmund.com).” When you say “just move on,” “just be happy”, or “stop worrying” it makes the person feel even worse because they start to feel more like a burden and it causes them to then overthink about everything. Overall, anxiety is something that can never just be pushed aside or “fixed” ; it is something that you have to learn to cope with and live your life to the fullest. Remember that you are loved, appreciated, and cared for; and that “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true (theodysseyonline.com).” 

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/10-disney-quotes-that-help-explain-depression-and-anxiety

https://www.heysigmund.com/anxiety-children-metaphor-put-shoes-right-beside/

#rhs

Dear Maddie,

I am intrigued by your post, Why Can’t You Just Be Happy For Once, because of your extended explanation about why people ‘can’t just be happy. You described many personal things that you, yourself go through, which I am thankful for. I hope things get better for you and your coping with anxiety gets better. You opening up to what you go through and describing to those with mental illnesses the difficulty of being happy and at a calm mental state of mind was significant to many going through similar experiences.

One sentence you wrote that stood out to me was “Instead of ‘fixing it’, let them know that they are supported and loved! “. I thought this was significant because you gave a further purpose to your writing. You proposed a solution to those who try to help but didn’t really know how to help.

Thanks for your writing; I look forward to seeing what you write next since you cover serious conversations. You also provide clear examples that are easy to understand and benefit the concept you are trying to get your audience to understand.

Andrea

March 30, 2021 7:24 pm

Maddie,

I agree that there is a stigmatism around mental health. You show this through the parents point of view, inferring that they to face mental health. Everyone faces obstacles in life, no matter how little a person shows it. I especially liked the part where you said mental health is something “that you have to learn to cope with and live your life to the fullest.” If you never learn to cope with mental health issues, it will only end up becoming worse and hindering your ability to enjoy life.

Thank you for sharing!

-Maya

January 23, 2021 1:29 am

Maddie,
I really enjoyed this blog post! I definitely agree that there is a stigmatism around mental health in which people believe they can simply fix it. I think that it is important to realize that sometimes when you are trying to help, you may end up making things worse. This is why it is very important to be informed on mental health and why we should work toward eliminating the stigma surrounding it. I especially liked the part that said mental health is something “that you have to learn to cope with and live your life to the fullest.” If you never learn to cope with mental health issues, it will only end up becoming worse and hindering your ability to enjoy life. I also appreciate the fact that you have brought attention to the problem of trying to “fix people” because as humans we like to have control, and trying to fix people’s problems give us a sense of control. Thanks for sharing 🙂

December 5, 2020 5:19 am

Maddie
I really liked how you wrote about the struggles parents face when taking care of their children. As children, we often mistake our parent’s protection as them wanting to “ruin our lives”. The fact that you cited evidence from a parent’s point of view goes to show that we, as children, aren’t the only ones who face obstacles in life. We don’t realize how much our parents sacrifice for us to have the best life they can provide us with. I also liked the fact that you wrote that parents also make mistakes too. It is only when the child and his or her parent communicate their struggles to each other that they are able to truly understand one another.

4
0
()