In the article, “Drowning in Debt” I learned that college graduates struggle for years to pay off their college debt. Many students find it hard to pay their tuition because college is expensive. Over the past 30 years, college tuition has risen tremendously due to the rising salaries of professors, dorms, and other facilities.  According to a study from Wisconsin University in 2017, they found that it usually takes around 20 years for graduates to pay off their debt. Many students do apply for financial aid, but sometimes that isn’t enough help or others don’t qualify for the aid. Their alternative will then be to take out loans. 

These high tuition prices have caused controversy between politicians. Some like Bernie Sanders have proposed canceling existing student loan debt and making both public and community college tuition-free for every student. Many schools have opposed this idea because if tuition is free they won’t be able to offer the same quality of education for their students.

The problem of debt leaves many students asking themselves if college is worth it. Some students say their debt is all they have in their mind and they feel like they’re just drowning. On the other hand, economists believe that college is worth it because it’s been proven that those with a college degree will be better off than those who only have a high school diploma as they have better chances of succeeding. 

Personally, I don’t think I will ever take out loans. My parents have told me that they will support me throughout college so that I won’t have to worry later about being in debt. But unfortunately, others don’t have the same support or they don’t qualify to get assistance, so their only other option is loans.  And since some are afraid of being in debt they will get discouraged and not want to go to college or they take a year off to save up some money.  This is why I think they should make more resources to help students pay for college and not end up as badly in debt.

-Should college tuition be free?

October 12, 2020 5:22 am

Yamile,
I really think that this is an interesting topic that should be paid more attention to. I rather enjoyed reading about the proposed solutions to this problem that most college student and their families face. I’d think that maybe financial education may help students struggling with debt help pay off their loans more effectively? If you were to write another article about a topic in this field I would be interested in reading about financial education and the paying-off of loans. Something like this article (https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/when-its-ok-to-stop-paying-student-loans) might be a place to start looking into this topic. I’m a senior in high school currently in the process of looking for a college that is a good balance of educational value and monetary value. It’s cool to read an article about a problem that I’m currently experiencing.

October 11, 2020 5:59 am

Dear Yamile,

I think this topic is very important and at the forefront of a lot of people’s minds, especially seniors. All of us have heard that it’s hard to find a job if you don’t have a college degree but as you said “some are afraid of being in debt they will get discouraged and not want to go to college”. But that poses the question of where the money to lower school costs who come from? The government? And how would it affect private school prices, for people who want to go somewhere smaller and perhaps more focused?

I personally feel terrified by the crushing weight of debt, especially considering I want to go out of state. Same as you, I know that my parents are going to help me with my bachelor’s but that still leaves any higher education I plan on getting as a potential future financial burden that I then have to spend a good chunk of my life paying off. I also think it’s important to keep in mind the fact that most classes are online right now. Is it really worth all that money and struggle to do classes over zoom?

I greatly enjoyed your engaging style of writing and the personal connection was wonderful!

Ashley Renteria
October 5, 2020 7:36 am

Dear Yamile, I am very interested and informed by your post “Why are many college students in debt?” because I believe college tuition should be free so many students wouldn’t end up in deep debt. I feel like debt is always a problem and a set back for college students its also always talked about. Two sentences you wrote that stood out to me is Some students say their debt is all they have in their mind and they feel like they’re just drowning. On the other hand, economists believe that college is worth it because it’s been proven that those with a college degree will be better off than those who only have a high school diploma as they have better chances of succeeding. I think is because strongly agree that without these high educations we wouldn’t be as successful however being in debt creates a whole problem later on which effects lives even with a high education. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I find these topics interesting because I am soon to be a college student in the near future.

andres
andres
October 2, 2020 1:41 am

Dear Yamile I am very interested and thrilled about your post. I think you pointed out lots of information that was good to know about college. I like how you put examples of how college is so expensive it can be a hard decision being made .

one sentence that you wrote that stands out to me is “According to a study from Wisconsin University in 2017, they found that it usually takes around 20 years for graduates to pay off their debt”. I think this is very interesting because lots of students have to go there a majority of there prime of life being scared of there debt that there making.

thanks for writing this interesting article about college expenses. this has really helped me because I am at this part in my life where I need to make this choice and this had provided good info for me. I look forward to seeing what else you post that you.

Selena
September 30, 2020 5:53 pm

I like this post because this is something that everyone struggles with. Many families, since the very beginning have had a mindset that their children will attend school and college. There was no other exception but the only problem was how to pay for it. Yes, like you said over the years college prices have rose, giving high school students and others second thoughts. There is tuition, and final aid, taking out loans will help you in the moment getting your education but what are after? Everyone thinks in the moment and say I will pay it later after getting my degree. When it comes to that time in life, you have a pile of dept that you can not afford all in one time. You have a very good question, “Should college tuition be free?”. In my opinion , no it should not because not everything in your life of education is not free. Everyone has to work for your own benefit and for your own education if you really want it. Everything has a price to pay weather it is not in life or anything you do.

5
0
()