Humans are a curious species, and, from the beginning of time, have questioned and challenged everything. Curiosity propels the human mind to look forward. Questioning and investigating every unknown is what pushes society forward. One unknown that has been debated for years is whether nature or nurture causes each human to develop a unique personality. With the amount of research done into the age-old debate of nature versus nurture, experts arrived at the conclusion that both nature and nurture play a role in determining one’s personality because a person’s genetic makeup provides a base for personality that experiences and environment shape as one grows older. This debate has two very obvious sides: nature, which is made up of genetics, and nurture, which consists of environment and experiences. Those arguing on the side of nature claim that nature determines. personality because all humans share a majority of genetic material, but the small amount of genetics that vary from person to person are what make each person unique (Larry). On the side of nurture, debaters argue, “temperament is not static. It is malleable, continually changed by life experiences,” establishing their belief that everyone is born with some sort of personality; however, a person’s true personality is formed by the events a person undergoes as a way to either avoid negative situations or experience positive situations (Dimitriu). In the end, Harvard researchers provide, “definitive evidence that nature – inherited genes and other biological influences – and nurture – learning and exposure to influences of the surrounding environment – appear inextricably intertwined” confirming that it is both nature and nurture that influence personality (Dimitriu). It is impossible to claim that only one can be responsible for personality as genetics provide a foundation on which environment and experience build the rest of one’s personality. In brief, something as complicated as personality is a combination of many aspects of one’s life. This is the latest advancement in this debate; however, there is one research to be done into the debate. The next step would be to look into the exact role nature and nurture play in the development of personality. Now, one can only wonder if one plays a greater roles and exactly what each one’s role is. Dimitriu, Alex. “Does Nature or Nurture Determine Your Personality?” Psychology Today, Sussex Publishers, https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/psychiatry-and-sleep/202106/does-nature-or-nurture-determine-your-personality. Leary, Mark. “Personality and the Nature-Nurture Debate.” The Great Courses Daily, 18 Nov. 2019, https://www.thegreatcoursesdaily.com/personality-and-the-nature-nurture-debate/.

0
()