In the article, “First Latina Justice Nominated To California Supreme Court” (McGraw Hill) I learned that Governor Gavin Newsom announced the nomination of Patricia Guerrero to the California Supreme Court. This would make her the first Latina to serve in this position. Patricia Guerrero is fifty years old and is the daughter of Mexican immigrants. She attended the University of California, Berkeley, as an undergraduate and later received her law degree from Stanford Law School. The state of California has about 7.7 million women of Latin American descent. Even with such a high amount women have received no representation in their state’s Supreme Court. Having a Latina woman for the first time would give all of these women a voice and opinion. With topics and arguments relating to immigration and discrimination, this is something to which some if not all Latinas could relate.

I think that the nomination of Patricia Guerrero is essential not just to the state of California but also for the country as a whole as it demonstrates how diversity is being implemented in the Supreme Court either through race or gender. This also relates to how Ketanji Brown Jackson was nominated by President Biden to the United States Supreme Court as he promised more diversity in the judicial branch. This is a step in the right direction as it will allow different opinions and perspectives to be heard from other races and genders.

How important would this be in creating diversity in the judicial branch?

0
()