According to Anna McCullen the businesses and brands are the ones responsible for ensuring that our products are ethically manufactured. McCullen writes in an editorial, “It isn’t the responsibility of the consumer to feel guilty about buying what is readily available in shops.” She states this because if businesses would’ve just treated their workers properly they wouldn’t have to think twice about having to buy a simple shirt that was made in Bangladesh.

0
Do you agree that the consumer is less responsible?x

Brands also have the fault for this because if brands didn’t promote nonethical clothing we wouldn’t have to look closely at the shirt to see if they were made ethically.  Businesses mostly should take the responsibility because if “In a country where a little hand shake and a small exchange of money gets the job done, this process often fails to give an accurate picture of factory conditions, building and fire safety.”

Fast fashion does this to companies driving them crazy just for cheaper prices but doesn’t care if it’s ethically made as long as they have got their money. If brands really cared about giving their consumers a good deal they shouldn’t have to take it too far to the point that they know they might be risking someone’s life.  Businesses know that what they are doing isn’t right and they still continue to do it. If more consumers knew that these “small exchanges” were happening just for Fast fashion clothing and businesses aren’t spending money on the safety of their workers they wouldn’t support the brands promoting such a horrible company.

I agree with McCullen but I also disagree. I believe that it’s the business’s fault for letting fast fashion get to them which resulted in many workers getting hurt. It’s the brand’s fault as well for promoting an industry that doesn’t care about safety and only cares about cheaper prices. The consumer should also take half of the responsibility for ensuring that our products are ethically manufactured since we do encourage brands to get more products from industries that don’t make clothes ethically.

5 1 vote
August 25, 2021 6:34 pm

Dear Veronica,
I agree with you on who should take responsibility for fast fashion because even though yes it is the fault of these big businesses it is also the consumer’s job to do something about it if they know it’s happening.
One sentence that stood out to me was, “It isn’t the responsibility of the consumer to feel guilty about buying what is readily available in shops.” I think that even though yes once the item is already in the shops the consumer cannot do anything about it, I think the efforts of what the consumer does to bring awareness and stop it do matter.
Thank you for writing this post, I look forward to seeing more of your opinions on future issues.

Rene
August 25, 2021 3:16 pm

Dear Writer, I acknowledge your information you have given, it really teaches a topic of how the consumers and the fashion company should closely review their own ethical work, so they can not struggle with anything around, instead of promoting a brand, of not being on the topic then why shop with them, instead look and review how they keep up with there business instead of just buying, hopefully, more consumers review themselves before getting hurt, and to take half the responsibility of payment.

Natalia
August 24, 2021 3:49 pm

Dear Veronica,
Thank you for your post. I can see how this issue is very complicated.

Ms. Navarro

Harry Brake
June 29, 2021 2:50 pm

Dear Veronica:

I am interested by your article, “Who should we blame for our products not being ethically made?, ” because when I lived in Mexico, I saw from outside the united Stated in, how products are accepted and who they are made from. For example, products from China that say Made in China, are now allowed to be accepted by anyone in Mexico, and I was not allowed to send products with the made in China tag on them to anyone in the United States.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “If brands really cared about giving their consumers a good deal they shouldn’t have to take it too far to the point that they know they might be risking someone’s life. ” I think this is important because I agree that too many lives are taken advantage of on other countries just to simply have a product that someone wants. People do not think about the lives it took to make that product.

Another sentence that I liked was: “In a country where a little hand shake and a small exchange of money gets the job done, this process often fails to give an accurate picture of factory conditions, building and fire safety.” This stood out for me because
I do highly agree with you that with products, lives should be thought of when purchasing.

One reason I say this is I feel greed and the want for materials goods often can get in the way of thinking about how we get these products we “need.”  I agree with you and your thought.

Have you seen this article on Old Navy and ethics on their products? https://stylewise-blog.com/ethical-alternatives-to-old-navy/ I thought you might be interested in this because of wanting to know who around us is an ethical company that produces clothes.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your bring up issues that affect people and lives around us.

Edward
June 25, 2021 3:40 pm

I find your opinion very similar to mine because I also think that the “consumer should also take half of the responsibility for ensuring that our products are ethically manufactured…”. Although it is the brand’s responsibility to make sure products are being ethically made, the consumers are also supposed to make sure that they are not buying clothing that is being made unethically.

5
0
()