I am from ripped old blue jeans, from dirt and hard work.

I am from the big red barn.

I am from the crown of thorns, the rose bush.

I am from the Christmas parties and cheerful holiday spirit, from Roger and Mary and Lee.

I am from the fake smiles and laughs.

From “never give up” and “always stay humble and kind.”

I am from the long narrow stained glass windows to the never ending pews of the Catholic church.

I’m from Livonia and little Italy, pasta and garlic bread.

From the never forgotten grandfather who died of cancer, the family cramming to carol in the cozy dark den around the warm lit fireplace, and the little girl helping grandma cook in the kitchen.

I am from the pictures on the old dusty fireplace mantel.

From the house overlooking the river.

I am from the hillside of a pasture enclosing the wild horses.

From the wisps of air that your long hair catches of lingering lost memories of ghosts sharing their secrets while you ride away into the fading sunset.

Jackson
April 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Super talented piece. I reflected on my own upbringing while reading your piece and was really drawn into the reading. I could really visually the never ending pews and almost tasted the garlic bread, keep it up!

Alli
March 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi Autumn,

I really enjoyed your poem! It has great descriptive writing and really allowed me to picture the things you wrote about. Your poem taught me about you and was very fun to read.

Kendall
March 14, 2017 2:12 pm

Autumn,

Thank you for sharing your poem here on Youth Voices. I really appreciate the imagery you used. It was strong enough that I could picture in my mind’s eye what you were writing about very clearly. I enjoyed reading your work. Thanks!

Pavan
March 14, 2017 1:56 pm

Hello Autumn,
I liked the vivid detail and the serenity and simplicity of your life story that you showed in this poem.

Tala
March 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi Autumn,
I really enjoyed your piece because it tells me a lot about you. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Tymir
March 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Dear autumn i am inspired by your poem. It is a very good poem you really described your life very good.

Naomi
March 13, 2017 5:19 pm

Hey Autumn!

I loved reading your poem! Each line gave me a different image, and I could see the little girl helping grandma cooking, or the scene of little Italy and the pasta. I especially liked your last line, it was so powerful and provided great imagery.

–Naomi

Jimmy
March 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Autumn, I really enjoyed your piece of writing and thank you for sharing it with the world. Your poem was visually apparent to me as every phrase of your piece made me feel like I was in your shoes. Thanks!

MacKenzie
March 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Hello Autumn
I really enjoyed reading your poem. I thought that the picture you choose was perfect. My favorite lines from the poem was “From the wisps of air that your long hair catches of lingering lost memories of ghosts sharing their secrets while you ride away into the fading sunset.” When I read this I was able to picture this exact seen. I picture someone riding on those horses in the picture. Great poem!

9
0
()