I am from rice, milk, and sugar (rice pudding)

I am from where the aromas engulf the air,

With the scent of savory spices

I am from concrete, where ragweed grows

Through the cracks, to show almost  insignificant form of life

I’m from pictures and board games

I’m from my grandmothers, from Ethy to Ramona

I’m from the loud, and the louder!

From eat, to wake up!

I’m from Sunday classes to confirmation

I’m from the Dominican Republic, the city of Santiago

From the grandfather who taught me everything I know to the one who passed away a while ago

Pictures hanging from the wall gave history lessons, that no one could teach.

from family gatherings every week, to make sure we don’t fall apart.

Dylan Horsford

Photo by rpavich

marren Silcox
November 22, 2016 2:28 am

I love your poem! This also made me really hungry! I loved how you tied your life in explaining rice pudding! This poem really brought out the importance of rice pudding and explained the meaning rice pudding bring to yo , which I think is really important. You did a really good job! Awesome prom!

Annika
November 22, 2016 1:51 am

I really enjoyed the senses you appealed to in your poem. I could almost taste my mom’s rice pudding with the first line. I found it to be an interesting choice to put the words rice pudding in parenthesis. I was a little thrown to read the poem with the title that it is to not be all about rice pudding. I found the essay more to be about you rather than the history of rice pudding as to which Ryan above is interpreting it as.

Ryan
November 21, 2016 8:16 pm

Your poem really made me hungry and made me have a pretty intense sweet tooth. You really captured the physical materials of rice pudding and put it into words. The way you utilized imagery and other descriptive words really made it seem like the rice pudding was right in front of me. Not only that but you utilized the history of rice pudding, which added to its significance, importance, and tastiness.

3
0
()