green trees beside lake under white clouds during daytime

I am from tiny tetras swimming in their tank.

I am from the swings and shooting baskets at the Garden Street park, from the LES baseball team where I won Most Improved, and from training for curveballs with raw materials,  hitting bottle caps and rocks in the summer.

I'm from Brooklyn AND  el campo.  I’m from the motorcycle guys and their cigarette smoke forever in front of my building. I am from my grandma and uncle’s chicken farm, I am from orange and mango and pineapple trees hidden in the mountains.

I’m from my mom -- the boss -- and the ones who always think they’re right. 

I'm from my dad’s baseball training.  I’m from throwing and hitting for hours with him and picking up most of my game from him.

I’m from Buscarme un pollo, and You’re looking for something you haven't lost
and Give me your phone.

I'm from God. I'm from the pictures of family members, the pictures of god and the beautiful paintings hung up on our walls.

I’m from all of these moments: the moments that made me

Help on Youth Voices
0
()

Connect with