I am from Shrek DVD’s and bleach

I am from the swamp with the weeping willow whose branches sagged to the floor

I am from Lucian and Luis

I am from drama queens and drunken fights

From Sit up! to elbows down!

I am from crosses and bibles

from church and prayer

I am from New York and black coffee

I am from the life my great grandfather gave for his country

I am from the photos stored in my top left drawer

I am from the things I taught myself

I am from me

Photo by Alessandro Bonvini

Carla
December 2, 2016 7:20 pm

hey there elliot,
this is a cool poem you have here i would like to know where your ideas for this poem originated but this poem is very unique !

Kasey
November 23, 2016 7:24 pm

Well Elliot,
This poem really left me thinking and being curious about this. Its was a really expressive poem and had (how should I say this) had a lot of you in it. Very good

ps. the the Shrek pic

Anna
November 3, 2016 1:18 am

Elliot,
I must say, this poem has left me very confused. However, this wasn’t a bad thing, and I finished reading this poem with more questions than when I originally stumbled upon the eerily “realistic” rendition of Shrek as the title image. Keep up the good work!

Zachary
November 2, 2016 1:01 pm

Hey there Elliot,
Interesting poem. Quite honestly, I only clicked on it because I saw Shrek and the opening line, and assumed that somehow a meme had made its way to the featured page. However, when I clicked and the page finally loaded, I found quite an interesting post. This seems to give an interesting insight into your life, and I’d be interested to know where some of these concepts from the poem originated.
Cheers,
-Z

Siena
November 1, 2016 3:46 pm

Thank you for this poem. I first thought it was a joke about Shrek, but the end of the poem is really good. “Drunken fights” intrigues me

Danny
November 1, 2016 1:49 am

Hi Elliot,
First of all, great poem. Though the picture and the opening line is very misleading it definitely got my attention. I honestly really liked this post mostly because it gave me a sense of who you really are, where you come from, and what makes you, you. Great work!

6
0
()