Mark Levy said, “this too shall pass, life is but a hundred percent mortal disease”. Every life dies. But where will we go after we die? We can find the answer in our religious beliefs and our culture. Almost all religions believe that you will go to some place like  heaven or hell depending on what you have done.

For Christianity, “When we die, our spirit and body separate. Even though our body dies, our spirit—which is the essence of who we are—lives on. Our spirit goes to the spirit world. The spirit world is a waiting period until we receive the gift of resurrection when our spirits will reunite with our bodies. Our future resurrected body cannot die and will be perfect—free from pain, sickness, and imperfections. It is because of the infinite love of Jesus Christ that everyone will be resurrected.”

For Hindus, life is cyclical, not linear. Bodies in heaven are round. Death and rebirth are part of the cycle known as samsara, or the transmigration of souls, more commonly known as reincarnation. In this cycle, a soul passes from one body to another, for example, from a human body to an animal or insect. They believe in reincarnation, which means you can come back to the world after you die. Good actions merit migration to a better situation in the next life, while bad actions merit migration to a worse situation. And this is the same for Chinese Buddhism and Tibetan Buddhism.

According to the above religions, we all believe that we will come back to the world after we die. “In a sense, we go both nowhere and everywhere when we die.” Mike Sturm has pointed out what I think will happen after we die. I am sure many of you have heard the passage. There are three times when you are actually dead, the first time when you are medically pronounced dead, the second time when you are cremated and buried, the third time when you are the last person in the world to remember you when you actually die, as if you had never been in the world before. We die, it is a fact, and we can not change it. So we no longer belong to this world. But if someone remembers us, we are “born again” in the world.

I do not think death is terrible. What is terrible is to accept death. Especially accepting our own death. We do not care where we will go when we die, but whether we are willing to leave. If we die and go to heaven, will it really comfort those who love us? Whether the things we didn’t finish were done for us that day; Can the places you want to go be reached in heaven? What would it be like if we went to hell after we died? What would be our punishment? All of those things make us think about where we are going after we die. But everyone dies, and since we already know that life is a mortal game, why are we still afraid of the so-called difficulties?

References

https://www.comeuntochrist.org/beliefs/purpose-of-life/there-is-life-after-death

https://mikesturm.medium.com/where-do-we-go-when-we-die-654df0abb47f

1. Wendy 4 months ago

I found your article “Where do we go when we die” very interesting because it is a very meaningful topic as no one really knows what happens in the afterlife. There are many different theories about what happens after we die and I think you did a great job of including different ideologies. Something that stood out to me was “So we no longer belong to this world. But if someone remembers us, we are “born again” in the world.” This brought things into perspective for me as thinking of someone who has passed on into the afterlife is referred to as a way to “keep their memory alive”. I have many questions about the afterlife, but I appreciate the knowledge that you have shared and look forward to reading more.
    – Wendy Luquin

2. Diana 4 months ago

Hello Yangliu, I really enjoyed reading what you had to say. I, myself, am Catholic. I agree with what you had to say. I do agree that when we die, you will go to either heaven or hell depending on how you lived your life and if you had faith in God. I liked reading your article because it seems like you researched this topic very well, because you even included other religion’s aspects and views on the afterlife. I wish to hear more from your point of view.
    Sincerely, Diana

3. Cynthia 4 months ago

I am intrigued by your writing, “Where do we go when we die” because it’s a topic that no one really knows what happens afterlife. There are so many questions I have that people do not have the answer to. One sentence that you wrote that stood out to me is “There are three times when you are actually dead, the first time when you are medically pronounced dead, the second time when you are cremated and buried, the third time when you are the last person in the world to remember you when you actually die as if you had never been in the world before. We die, it is a fact, and we can not change it.” I think this is really interesting because I never really looked at it in that way. It also reminds me of the movie COCO when you are in the afterlife and when no one remembers you, you disappear but where do they go? Thanks for your writing. I am interested in what you write next because this was an interesting topic.