Every year, some look forward to their birthday because that means that are 18 and legal. By then they have or will be making life decision on their own. A time where we reflect in society of our own maturity. Doors start opening to things you are able to do, voting, open a bank account, registering (men) and other legal accountability’s. The value of turning 18 has changed over time in way of self-ability, control, judgment. Ages in other states differ from the US, by 21 being their adulthood. For example, in Indiana you have to wait until your 21 to get your drivers license. The age of adulthood in Alabama and Nebraska is 19. To a certain extent your an adult or old enough according to the government. The path to adulthood is more of a trajectory, so in other words you really never know when you are. There are a lot of aspects to consider, maturity, independence, and responsibility. In my opinion, the most important thing is the definition you reflect on your maturity, independence, and responsibility. It’s what you make out of it and establish in your early adulthood that lays out what the future has for you. When would you consider yourself an adult?

Selena,
Thank you so much for this post! You raise a lot of interesting points regarding whether a person is considered an adult at 18 or 21 including voting and drinking age. In my opinion, adulthood is a mindset instead of an age. You touched on this when you referred to it as a “trajectory” where environmental factors have most of the impact on one’s emotional maturity. An interesting conversation that could come from this is “How can government officials accurately determine the average age of emotional maturity in order to base their policies off it it?” This post gave me the motivation to research this and determine how an American can go to war and give their life for their country at 18 but not drink until 21. In any case, this is a great post and I look forward to hearing more of what you have to say! Good job!

1
0
()