What would happen if the US didn’t eat meat for a year? According to Rachel Nuwer, if we stopped consuming red meat as a population, greenhouse gas emissions would reduce by 25%-33% and we would get back more than 8 billion acres of land for uses like wildlife and housing. But if something like this happened over a short period of time, there would be several negative impacts on the economy. There are places in the world that can only support livestock. Places where the earth cannot support the growth of crops. In addition to the environment and economy, there would be impacts on one’s health. If we all went vegetarian by 2050, Nuwer says there would be a “global mortality reduction by 6-10%”. Would the benefits of going “not meat” be worth the costs? What lengths would you go to, to preserve our world?

Source

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20160926-what-would-happen-if-the-world-suddenly-went-vegetarian

September 29, 2021 7:09 pm

Dear William,
I never realized how much meat products impacted the environment this much! I wonder if we could avoid the negative effects of everyone going vegetarian by boasting meat alternatives companies such as imposible and beyond burgers, creating more jobs and stimulating the economy.

September 24, 2021 7:24 pm

Dear William,
Your post was definitely very eye opening and interesting to me. Knowing now that there are pros and cons the US would experience if the population stopped eating meat is very cool to know.

September 22, 2021 2:45 am

Dear William:

I am intrigued by your post, “What would happen if the US didn’t eat meat for a year?” because there are many consequences to not eating meat. It lets me know that there are consequences if the population stops eating meat.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is, ¨ greenhouse gas emissions would reduce by 25%-33% and we would get back more than 8 billion acres of land for uses like wildlife and housing. But if something like this happened over a short period of time, there would be several negative impacts on the economy.¨ I think this is interesting because it shows how it would do good for the economy but it will have negative impacts on it as well.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I found it interesting that it is bad for the economy if we stop eating meat altogether but how we also have some cons about it.

Damian

September 20, 2021 2:20 am

Dear William:

I am surprised by your post, “What would happen if the US didn’t eat meat for a year?,” because it is surprising to know what the consequences of not eating meat would be. It makes me very interested to know that we could have the consequences and benefits of just being vegetarian.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “According to Rachel Nuwer, if we stopped consuming red meat as a population, greenhouse gas emissions would reduce by 25%-33% and we would get back more than 8 billion acres of land for uses like wildlife and housing. ” I think this is interesting because we could have more animals and more diversity. I think our climate could improve if they use it to leave trees and so on. We would have many benefits for those acres of land that could be used.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I found it interesting to know how we get great benefits from just being vegetarian. Also inform us about what would be some consequences of not eating meat for a long time.

Samantha.

4
0
()