MacBook Pro

The impact of the Coronavirus within the U.S. has been extreme, greatly impacting all areas of our lives. The most universal change has been that of the workplace. Our common-day work environment rapidly and drastically changed. People talk daily of “going back to the way things were”… but will that ever happen? The answer might be no. 

COVID has called for many unexpected changes and required extreme adaptability. The workplace has been especially impacted, and many changes are expected to stay. 

The pre-pandemic notion of productivity requiring a productive space (like an in-person, out-of-the-house office) no longer exists. Companies used to spend millions of dollars creating and building the most high-tech, unique office spaces for their employees in order to promote productivity. Now, however, as millions of Americans are forced to work from home, this new model has sustained productivity levels, adaptation abilities, and an overall larger focus towards the nuances of technology.  

“According to McKinsey research, 80 percent of people questioned report that they enjoy working from home. Forty-one percent say that they are more productive than they had been before and 28 percent that they are as productive.” (“Reimagining the Office and Work-Life after COVID-19 | McKinsey”) 

Working from home has also proved to be less stressful, and more accessible. Without having to worry about long commutes and being able to create one’s own work schedule, many have begun to prefer working from home rather than in the office. To make this transition easier and more widely accepted, the way we do  work needs to change. It is time to shift our habits and focus from the old, outdated, dull and unfruitful methods, and accept the new. The world around us is changing rapidly, and it is time for employers to catch up. 

Lilly,
I thought the way you addressed the reality of true situation we’re in as a country in the midst of a pandemic was clear and straightforward, and also just a true statement that a lot of people probably don’t want to hear. I thought it was very interesting that you explained the importance of adaptability and acceptance, versus simply waiting around for things to go back to the way they were. I agree that whether than waiting around for something that may not happen for a long time, or may not happen at all, it’s better to work with what we have to continue with our lives.

I thought this was really interesting! I think we have all noticed how COVID-19 has affected people working, and it is interesting to see the way my parents are feeling about working from home is similar to many others. COVID-19 will change the way the workplace functions and I agree that this might become the new normal.

2
0
()