There are many different figures that are used to describe the wage gap, but a lot of them look at different things, the Census Bureau only looks at the annual pay of full-time workers where women are paid 80 cents for every dollar a man makes. Another measure is the hourly pay which doesn’t include part-time workers, where women are paid 83 cents for every dollar men make. Another measure shows the gap at different parts of the wage distribution and adjusted factors for education level and occupation. Many people believe that the information is unreliable because they say different things, but rather they don’t realize that they are measuring and accounting for different things. 

Race and whether or not you’re a front-line worker or a high-level executive also play a role in how much women are paid. At the 10th percentile, women are paid 92 cents for every dollar that men make, whereas women at the 95th percentile are paid 74 cents relative to every dollar of their male counterparts’ hourly wages. Asian and white women experience the biggest wage gaps because white and Asian men, on average, make more than black or Hispanic men. When compared to white non-Hispanic men’s earnings, black and Hispanic women workers are only paid 65 and 58 cents on the dollar. Compared to the 81 cents for white non-Hispanic women workers and 90 cents for Asian women.

Here is a link to my annotations on NowComment: https://nowcomment.com/documents/309992

0
()