In the article, “Celebrating Hispanic Culture,” (BTW, Admin, 2022) I learned that Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated from September 15th to October 15th. Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated by people who originate from South and Central America and gained independence from Spain. As we know, the word “Hispanic” was not commonly used until 1980 when standardizing ethnicity statistics in the U.S Office of Management and Budget. Hispanic and Latino heritage began first as a week-long event. In 1968, it was changed to September 15th. It was chosen because September 15th was marked as Independence Day for 5 Latin-American countries: Nicaragua, Guatemala, Costa Rica, El Salvador, and Honduras. September 16th is Mexico and Chile’s Independence Day. Congress passed the public law declaring September 15th through October 15th as “National Hispanic Heritage Month.”

I think Hispanic Heritage Month is a great opportunity to know about Hispanic Cultures. I love the fact that Hispanics have a month. I am proud to be Hispanic and to celebrate my culture. I think celebrating Hispanic Culture helps us understand the diverse history.

What do you think about Hispanic Heritage Month?

0
()