Although ecotourism can look different from place to place, the goal remains the same- having a positive impact on the environment and communities you travel to, not a negative or neutral effect. This can be done in many ways, a big one being the education of the traveler. Tourists can educate themselves on the best ways to travel in an eco-friendly manner. This can be by being conscious of the water or electricity they use, where they put their trash, how they recycle, and buying sustainable souvenirs from tourists (this also helps the local community and helps tourists appreciate the culture). In addition, the areas can do things to promote eco-friendly travel. Turtle Island Fiji Resort builds sustainable facilities using recycled materials, reforests the land to positively affect the habitats of animals that may be affected by tourism, uses sustainable energy, has a Turtle Conservation Program to give money back to endangered species, and allows many local people to earn a living wage without sacrificing their culture. Although some may think that this is using their culture as entertainment, it gives the tourists a chance to see how cultures interact with environments, educating them further on its importance. It allows cultures to earn a wage they may not be able to make without this industry, especially one in which they get to keep their traditions. 

“What Is Ecotourism? – Concept Explanation & Goals.” Turtle Fiji, 11 June 2020, https://www.turtlefiji.com/what-is-ecotourism/.

NowComment Annotations: https://nowcomment.com/documents/309494

0
()