black and gray laptop computer on brown leather couch

Earlier this year I was prompted with a question on how the transferring to online school would affect those who would not be able to afford or acquire the necessary tools to be successful to be on online school. After some further research I stumbled upon on article written by Vice’s Pallavi Pundir “As Indian Classes Go Online, Those Who Can’t Afford Smartphones Go Without” which tackled the question I had head on. Interestingly enough, the article was on a perspective we don’t really get to often living in such a prestigious country. Many of the people in India are not the wealthiest and the article shows how hard it is for some who are living on bare necessities and how it is hard for those kids to even have the right tools needed to be online. Secondly the article talks not only about the devices needed, such as smartphones, to go online, but also the lack of accessibility to Wi-Fi, which I feel many of us take for granted. The article describes how hard it is for some and what they need to do to gain this access, Pundir writes “In the Tsuruhu village in the northeastern state of Nagaland, as many as 39 school and college students have been trekking three kms to take online exams for the last two weeks.”

With the previous article taken into account, I found a more recent article written by Courtney Tanner of the Salt Lake Tribune “3,000 students haven’t logged on for the first week of school in Salt Lake City”. This article is a more local article and shows that although we are thousands of miles away from India we still suffer from the same conflicts. In NowComment I have annotated the article talking about how it has presented similar affects on the community and answering the question to what if students don’t have the necessary tools to go online.

6 months ago

Josh, I thought the connection you made between the two sources, one local and one concerning another country, was impactful in the portrayal of your claim that having the resources to learn online is something many of us take for granted. There have been brief moments throughout this year where I haven’t been able to log on, whether because of a random internet issues or because of something like the wind storm, but these brief moments have been stressful. Considering this, I can’t imagine how difficult it would be to be under the pressure of rarely or never being able to participate in my online classes. I think the way in which specific students are responding and what others are doing to help this situation would be interesting to hear more about. https://www.teachthought.com/technology/6-ways-support-students-without-internet-access-home/

6 months ago

In your discussion post, you use a local example and a foreign example. I think this is an amazing idea. This shows that is it really a worldwide issue that needs to be resolved. You say “This article is a more local article and shows that although we are thousands of miles away from India we still suffer from the same conflicts.” Because you also believe this is a serious manner all over the world, do you have any solutions? What could the schools of the world do to help their children to receive an education even during the pandemic? Should there be more funding for this issue? Consider reading this article (https://www.epi.org/publication/the-consequences-of-the-covid-19-pandemic-for-education-performance-and-equity-in-the-united-states-what-can-we-learn-from-pre-pandemic-research-to-inform-relief-recovery-and-rebuilding/) to help you with your decision.

Sam
6 months ago

Very interesting articles Josh. Online school is tough for all of us, but in countries like India that don’t have the necessary tools or WiFi access like we do makes it even harder. I wouldn’t be able to survive school right now without WiFi. I think it’s crazy that people walk three kilometers just to take an online exam. I also like how you brought in a new perspective that talks about this issue locally. It’s going on everywhere, just some places are worse than others.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/09/23/novel-proposal-help-millions-kids-struggling-with-online-school/

Here is an article I found about the struggles of online school, and what we can do to help and make it better. I think you’ll enjoy it!

6 months ago

I think was a really good point to share. As people who go to a private school that already requires access to wifi and a laptop, we were prepared to go online without many difficulties. We are placed in an environment that pictures those without these technologies to be out of the country, but this lack is still present in the United States. I found this article (below) that had some really interesting points about how the “political games” being played gave teachers and students less time to get ready for online school and how the teachers, who are getting paid the same as they were last year, have to get creative to fulfill these students needs. I think it would be really interesting to hear more about what the students are doing to adjust.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/america-is-about-to-start-online-learning-round-2-for-millions-of-students-it-wont-be-any-better/2020/08/05/20aaabea-d1ae-11ea-8c55-61e7fa5e82ab_story.html

4
0
()