man standing in front of the window

Racial and ethnic minority youth tend to suffer more mental health disparities than white youth. Minority groups face challenges including racism and discrimination that contribute to mental health disparities.

Minority groups tend to have little access to mental health resources. Roughly 20% of white youth receive mental health services, while only 6% of minority youth receive the same services. Failure to receive help with regards to mental health can lead to traumatic futures, including dropping out of school, alcohol/drug abuse, and involvement in violent crimes.

One of the primary reasons for the lack of mental health services in minority communities is the lack of resources. Many minority groups have little access to transportation to attend mental health services. Minority groups also tend to have stigmas disbelieving the existence of struggling mental health. And finally, minorities tend to have negative experiences with healthcare.

However, a presented solution to mental health disparities includes incorporating discussions about mental health issues into cultural customs and traditions among minority groups.

Help on Youth Voices
0
()

Connect with