In the article “The Cincinnati Zoo Gorilla Incident” (BTW), I came upon a contentious topic about a toddler accidentally falling into a gorilla’s enclosure. The toddler was dragged from the leg by the animal, although the harm was not done on purpose. The zoo’s team decided to intervene in order to protect the infant. The gorilla was killed on May 28, 2016, after gunshots were fired. The child remained unharmed and was soon immediately sent to the hospital, where he was left to recover. Following the incident, many people questioned if the zoo’s team members did the right thing in leading the child to safety.

In my opinion, a different strategy for rescuing the animal and the child could have been used. Children have been known to fall into animal exhibits in the past. This case is unique since it is the first time in a long time that an animal has been shot dead. Harambe was attempting to protect the infant since he was the leader and guardian of his group, hence no damage was intended, according to animal experts. I’d also like to point out that by tranquilizing Harambe, team members may have adopted a different strategy.

Would you agree?

0
()