In the article “Crimes of War” (Upfront, Patricia Smith, 2022 subscription required) I learned about the sad perspective of some of the citizens of Ukraine on the ongoing conflict between the nation and Russia. This past spring, Russia retreated from a town by the name of Bucha. They left behind bodies of innocent citizens on the streets, in basements, and in backyards. Most of the victims had gunshot wounds to the head and some even had their hands tied behind their backs. These reckless and sadistic killings were fueled by the Russian soldiers’ frustration of being unable to advance on the city of Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine. Other instances in which civilians were targeted in Bucha include Russian missile attacks on hospitals and schools, which have prompted accusations against Russian president Vladamir Putin of committing war crimes.

Do you think Russia is guilty of committing war crimes in Ukraine?
0
Please leave a feedback on thisx

I think that the accusations against Vladamir Putin and the Russian army of committing war crimes are justified. The killing of civilians is intentional, and inhumane manner which is considered a war crime in itself. I also think that bombing hospitals and schools, which are places that house many innocent civilians, is worthy of being considered a war crime because they have resulted in the killings of many more innocents including children.

September 21, 2023 5:44 am

Dear Omar
I am impressed by your post, “War Crimes,” because amused by how serious this topic can be and why it is important to know about war crimes.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I also think that bombing hospitals and schools, which are places that house many innocent civilians, is worthy of being considered a war crime because they have resulted in the killings of many more innocents including children.” It stands out to me because this is a very horrible thing to do because what is the involvement of the places to commit such actions towards someone. They are willing to kill off any and everything to get what they want and I agree that this should be a war crime.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing your opinion about more of these topics. Also, the situations that could occur by other countries that could erupt into war.
Isidro

September 20, 2023 4:59 am

Dear Omar
I am interested in your post, “War Crimes,” because this topic can be seen as very controversial in the sense of what is a war crime to other countries/juries.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I also think that bombing hospitals and schools, which are places that house many innocent civilians, is worthy of being considered a war crime because they have resulted in the killings of many more innocents including children.” This itself is a war crime according to the United Nations but I think the United Nations knows but doesn’t want to do something about it due to the possibility of a W.W. 3. But also I don’t think they are quick to say or do anything too if you have seen how they are doing nothing in the genocide in China.
Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what other topic you will be talking about with the Ukrainian War Situation. I also want to know your opinion about things going on in the rest of the world that the United Nations fails to do like I mentioned the genocide in China.
Soledad Garcilazo

Xavier
November 21, 2022 6:44 am

Dear Omar

I am impressed by your post, “War Crimes,” because this is a serious topic that many people have been debating and questioning.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I also think that bombing hospitals and schools, which are places that house many innocent civilians, is worthy of being considered a war crime because they have resulted in the killings of many more innocents including children.” I think this is important because I agree with this statement. I think that it takes a lot for people to be willing to bomb hospitals. It’s a new level of cruelty.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this was a topic we both found interesting. I wonder what other topics you will write about that I might find intriguing.

Xavier Cruz

Jimmy
November 12, 2022 6:15 pm

Omar,
I completely agree with you, and I am curious if you believe it is Ukrainian regionalism or Ukrainian nationalism that has kept Russia semi-at bay. Many people say it is nationalism fighting Russian nationalism, but I believe it is regionalism.

5
0
()