Virtual classes have gotten to their peak this past year. Many of these reasons are not only because of the high cases of covid, but also because of students who work full time jobs and students who cannot make it to traditional in-person classes. It gives them an opportunity to participate in class, without physically being there. Have the ability to learn and be part of a class without having to feel left out. However, with all these advantages there are its disadvantages. 

“With remote learning moving into the long term, experts say the mental, emotional and academic impacts of that shift are likely to be challenging”(Burke). Many disadvantages include no personal contact, poor time management skills, and lack of interaction. All of which could lead to more serious problems like poor eye sight, stress, and depression, along with many others.

Virtual classes are worse for the younger generation. It impacts children’s health, not only physically, but mentally. Many students are more hands-on learners, being in physical classrooms.  Research has shown that “Generation Z” students — those born after 1996 — have surprising preferences for face-to-face learning, even though their parents rarely see them without their smartphone in hand”(Reed). Having to stare at a screen for 7-10 hours a day affects the eyesight, impacts sleep, and can be a major distraction. While there may be many benefits to virtual classes, there are many more disadvantages to top them. 

Newsletter

insidehighered

December 17, 2020 4:28 am

I think choosing this topic was very smart and interesting. As a student who does online school for half the time I do agree with the disadvantages of online learning because I experience them myself. I thought the part where you specifically talked about Gen Z was interesting Emily. I think another factor that adds into your side of disadvantages would be the lack of motivation kids have now. Personally, I find it a lot harder to get things done now being at home. In the article below it takes a look at the mental health toll online school takes on kids. Thanks for your writing and the information this article gave me about my everyday life.
https://www.apa.org/news/apa/2020/10/online-learning-mental-health

December 7, 2020 7:17 am

I like how you talk about his from two perspectives. It is more flexible for students to manage their time, to maintain school and their work time. Also brings the disadvantage for the students who don’t have good self-discipline, especially in the younger generation. I totally agree with that. Their parents don’t have the time to spend with the children in the study. But since we are under the pandemic, we don’t have a choice, maybe use this time to be more self-discipline.

2
0
()