a group of people holding up a sign

In the article, “ Key Facts about Abortion” (Blazina 2023) she clarifies America’s views on abortion. There is a major controversy with abortion being considered legal or illegal. Blazina says, “ A majority of the U.S. public disapproves of the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe”. This explains that Americans disagreed with the Supreme Court’s decision to reverse Roe. The Supreme Court ruled in Roe v. Wade that the 14th Amendment’s implied right to privacy protected abortion as a fundamental right. The government still has the authority to control or limit access to abortions based on the stage of pregnancy. Also, she says, “About six-in-ten Americans (62%) say abortion should be legal” in all or most cases”  This supports their central idea because these are facts that support the controversy about abortion. I understand the different opinions depending on where you live. It also depends on the mothers’ circumstances. There are reasons people believe abortion is acceptable.   A final piece of evidence that supports their central idea is when the author writes “Women (66%) are more likely than men (57%) to say abortion should be legal in most or all cases, according to the survey conducted after the court’s ruling.” Men have been coming in and demanding that abortion be illegal. But do they understand? Do they have to be the one giving birth or dealing with the consequences? No, they just have an idea of what it is like.  This supports the central idea because this is another fact added to her article on America’s view on abortion.

I feel that Abortion should be legal for many reasons. There are always going to be differing percentages and stats on abortion. When you come to think about it, it is a Woman’s decision and it is her body and her situation. Judgment should not be used against her. No matter the circumstances it doesn’t involve anyone else’s life. The information above helped me see that controversy over abortion will never be solved because you have Men and women who choose not to understand the circumstances. 

As I continue to learn about abortion, I want to learn more about why it is considered illegal in some states.

December 12, 2023 8:15 pm

Dear Vanessa,

Your post made me think about the controversy on abortion and it depending on where one might be located. I agree that abortion should be legal and that no woman should feel ashamed or judged for a choice they made for themselves. Something I wonder is why men so strongly feel they should have an opinion on women’s bodies.

Giuliani Morales

December 11, 2023 8:30 pm

Dear Vanessa,’
Your post made me think about all the states that don’t allow abortion. I believe there is justified abortion but to just have it as an everyday option is not right. Something I wonder is how differently women’s right to abortion is taken in places that do allow it and places that don’t.

Hilary

2
0
()