a person riding a bike across a bridge

UCAIR is Utah Clean Air Partnership and is a coalition of more than 30 groups state-wide focused on reducing air pollution through education, coalition building, and awarding grants to programs that help the cause.​​ The group’s focus was “to educate people on what they can personally do to alleviate air pollution”, Ted Wilson MEd partnership executive director, through, for example; carpooling. The grant funding helps a program called SmartTrips through Salt Lake Green. The programs encourage residents to reduce their carbon footprint such as driving walking, biking, and public transit kits. The kits include resources like maps, safety tips, and pedometers. They are hand-delivered by employees on a bike. Removing barriers like purchasing the card online or in a store. After just two years, users traveled 268,000 miles without a car and reduced 5,600 pounds of air pollutants from the air. “The ideas are there because you have so many people that care about air quality. If you have an idea and formulate a plan you can receive funding and actually do it. It’ll be really fun to see what this next round of grants does” Lohnes says.

0
()