Jenna Schnuer’s “6 Cities on 5 Continents That Are Reimaging Urban Life” Offers an interesting take on how city initiatives don’t always address the common issue in the needs of its residents, but are now trying to reinvent themselves through the examples of six thriving cities. Although I agree city initiatives don’t address the needs of its residents, I disagree with the notion that several cities are trying to reinvent themselves to make life better for all residents. I believe they’re trying to reinvent themselves for the people who can be self-sufficient.

In the articles, Schnuer states, “The city built transportation infrastructure to give its poorest residents access to the city center.”. Schnuer then mentions “Then it commissioned renowned architects to create new parks and buildings, including visually stunning libraries and museums, to be placed in the most neglected neighborhoods.” Essentially this plants the idea that these things are being implemented to help neglected neighborhoods but this isn’t the case. When trying to “help” a poor or neglected community, simply adding something in doesn’t do that much, if anything it can bring more harm than good. The intentions are good but this can ultimately lead to gentrification and can mess up the foundations that poor communities are built on. 

In conclusion, I disagree with the notion that cities are trying to reinvent themselves to better the living conditions for residents and are just reinventing themselves for those who are self-sufficient. Although Trying to help neglected communities is within good faith, history shows that changing up a poor community only harms it as gentrification exists and this pushes out residents and the foundation the community was built on.

0
()