The article “A Traffic Jam in Atlanta” discusses the underlying issue of segregation as a major contributor to the current traffic problem in society. The overcrowded highways are a result of the racism and ignorance of white oppressors, who have deliberately divided the races economically, politically, socially, and globally. In my opinion, this well-written analytical essay by Kevin Kruse effectively connects Atlanta to the chaotic traffic situation, highlighting the deeper issue of the ongoing struggle of black people and the pervasive systemic racism that needs to be addressed on a global scale. An example of this struggle can be seen in Philadelphia, where historical landmarks serve as a reminder of the country’s horrid past, while also highlighting the ongoing injustices faced by marginalized communities. This serves as a prime example of the challenge faced by America in reconciling its symbolic historicism with the persistent issues of discrimination and inequality.

Analyzing the crossroads between the ideals symbolized by these landmarks and the reality of urban segregation and infrastructure is the best way to go about interpreting this concept of what true freedom and justice means. There has been this ongoing narrative of “Democracy, freedom, and Justice”, as represented through Philadelphia’s historical sites, like the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, but to whom? For so long these concepts only applied to white people because of the power that they held. And over the course of time this has become quite evident through their mistreatment of anyone that looked different from them and the influence they had in society. In the passage it states, “During the New Deal, federal agencies like the Home Owners’ Loan Corporation and the Federal Housing Administration encouraged redlining practices that explicitly marked minority neighborhoods as risky investments” (Paragraph 4, Sentence 3)  This is a clear example of the racism and injustices faced by black people, even in Philadelphia. While there has been progress for people of color in terms of social acceptance, their communities in Philadelphia still face issues with poverty and lack of resources. This is a result of the government’s failure to provide opportunities and aid to black people.

In conclusion this further supports my claim that Black people aren’t as pliant and willing to support these historical landmarks, because of the pain and suffering marking its past. I feel as if this is definitely an understandable feeling to undergo as a black person and further supports the struggle of reconciling with historical symbols in society. To reiterate my initial claim Kevin Kruse has definitely laid the groundwork for an exceptional piece that can be utilized in ways to help me better interpret infrastructure in ways, way beyond my initial understanding. 

Jolie
April 5, 2024 11:46 pm

Jordan wrote this cool thing about how racism affects traffic and cities. She talks about old buildings and how they remind us of bad stuff from before. How can cities make things fair for everyone, like Jordan says?

Keyonna
April 5, 2024 2:17 pm

I like how you use this example and reflected on our city and the similar challenges we are facing in not only one community, but multiple. I believe that past experiences affects how we interact with the world now. Because of experiences a lot of Black people experience, they are scared to take the risk of suffering through it again. The question is, how can we improve that?

April 5, 2024 5:26 am

This comment is for Jordan

Your examination of Kevin Kruse’s essay and how it relates to larger social challenges is perceptive and stimulating. Using examples from both Atlanta and Philadelphia to support your arguments, you’ve done a fantastic job of deconstructing the complexities of urban segregation, systematic racism, and their effects on communities. It is impressive how critically you were able to interact with the text and discern how it may be understood in relation to historical symbols and contemporary issues.

What made you want to investigate how systematic racism, urban segregation, and historical sites interact in places like Atlanta and Philadelphia?

April 5, 2024 3:06 am

This is a beautiful piece overall. My favorite part is the first paragraph where it addresses systemic racism which basically pulls this whole topic on the traffic Jam being apart of the segregation between blacks and whites and how blacks are getting the brute of the issue when we haven’t done anything.

Jacey
April 5, 2024 2:19 am

The word “apathy” in your title caught my eye when scrolling. I enjoyed seeing you mention historic landmarks in Philadelphia and connecting them to the ideas present in the article. Do you have any personal ideas of what the government should do to aid Black people? Also how do you think architects play a role in this urban planning and gentrification?

Brooklyn
April 4, 2024 10:59 pm

Your analysis of both Kevin Kruse’s “a traffic jam in Atlanta” and how it relates to Philly was great! I noticed you also made it a point not to not only discuss the traumas that the Black people in these different communities face, but you also in a way managed to give them a voice that had been silenced for so long. Philadelphia is not often a city spoken about as it relates to the horrific racism that has been portrayed at many different points within this country’s history, but I’m glad you were able to put a spotlight on it and bring needed attention to it.

Suehayla
April 4, 2024 2:50 pm

This is awesome! I noticed It highlights the ongoing struggles of black people and systemic racism that needs to be addressed globally. The mention of Philadelphia’s historical landmarks serves as a reminder of the country’s troubled past and the persistent injustices faced by marginalized communities, highlighting the challenge of reconciling symbolic historicism with discrimination and inequality. What was the most challenging thing when writing this essay?

Last edited 11 days ago by Suehayla
Ben kelly
April 4, 2024 12:48 pm

Your review of Kevin Kruse’s article highlighted how modern traffic issues relate to historical segregation and systemic racism against Black communities. Looking at examples from Philadelphia showed how racial divides shaped unequal urban infrastructure. You made a good point that Black people may feel disconnected from national symbols of freedom due to their people’s past experiences of oppression.

Jayla
April 3, 2024 3:15 pm

Jordan this is so insightful and well-articulated! I feel like you effectively highlight the connection between systemic racism and the traffic issues discussed in the article. Your comparison of Atlanta’s situation to the broader historical context of segregation adds depth to your interpretation. I appreciate your mention of Philadelphia’s landmarks as symbolic of the ongoing struggle for justice and equality, which adds a broader perspective to the discussion. One question that comes to mind is how can we as individuals contribute to addressing systemic racism and inequality in our communities?

Camryn
April 3, 2024 3:06 pm

Myles
April 3, 2024 3:04 pm

In your analysis of “A Traffic Jam in Atlanta” by Kevin Kruse we get a better understanding of how Morden day traffic issues correlate to historical segregation and systemic racism. Even from looking at perspectives from our own city of Philadelphia, it demonstrates how racial divisions have shaped urban infrastructure and promoted inequality. I also agree with the analysis that Black communities may not feel the same connection to historical symbols due to the pain of their past experiences. My question now tough is how do we move on from this? I was also drawn to this because of the striking cover.

Last edited 12 days ago by Myles
Amora
April 3, 2024 3:03 pm

Overall, this is a well-written and insightful response that effectively connects the article “A Traffic Jam in Atlanta” to the broader issue of systemic racism and segregation. The use of specific examples, such as the situation in Philadelphia, adds depth to the argument and helps to illustrate the ongoing struggle for equality and justice faced by marginalized communities. A piece of constructive criticism would be to consider breaking up some of the longer sentences for clarity and ease of reading.

Akina
April 3, 2024 2:51 pm

Your writing is strong yet captivating. You bring up important issues while successfully analyzing Kruze’s article which is difficult to do. I love your use of quotes and references to the text. I was influenced to click on your piece because of your cover image as it was one of the few articles with a person on it.

13
0
()