1 – Sources
In this article, Fox claims that Elon Musk’s takeover of Twitter has angered the left. Fox News also states that Elon Musk acquiring Twitter was putting an end to Conservative censorship by liberals in silicon valley who were operating the tech companies. They also put a lot of emphasis into the unbanning of conservative accounts such as Mike Lindell, Marjorie Taylor Greene and Donald Trump.
2 – My summaries of the articles
In this article, CNN opposes Elon Musk’s takeover of Twitter. They claim that he really isn’t a free speech warrior. They also further claim that acquiring Twitter attracted interest of politicians as Twitter played a massive role in the outcomes of the 2020 and 2022 elections. As a left-leaning news company, CNN seems to oppose the takeover and has a negative perspective of Musk.
In this article, Fox claims that Elon Musk’s takeover of Twitter has angered the left. Fox News also states that Elon Musk acquiring Twitter was putting an end to conservative censorship by liberals in Silicon Valley who were operating the tech companies. They also put a lot of emphasis into the unbanning of conservative accounts such as Mike Lindell, Marjorie Taylor Greene and Donald Trump.
Overall, the acquisition of Twitter by Elon Musk sent ripples throughout society. Personally, I think that unless someone is spreading hate speech or speeches that spread violence, people should have the ability to say what they want. Elon Musk purchasing Twitter was a stupid idea which he is paying for now. The Tesla stock is down by about 240% from just last year, and Guinness reported that he holds the record for the largest wealth decrease with over 182 billion dollars lost. Most of the money lost comes from the drop in the Tesla stock. This reminds me a lot about a really good life lesson, that is that you should never mix business and politics. Musk was bound to anger some people when he reinstated Donald Trump, and when he showed that he might have more bias towards conservative accounts. For example, he faced criticism for reinstating accounts banned for valid reasons such as hate speech or community guideline violations, but banned liberal accounts for no apparent reason.
However, one issue I saw with the left-leaning side of Twitter is that they give these accounts attention and are what allows them to keep putting out content that is perceived as “hateful” to millions of viewers. People should be held accountable, but its time to stop grouping politicians in with the average American. Politicians will do anything to keep their power, and it’s time to realize that it seems that no matter what some people do or say, they will still have support from people who blindly support them.
In the future, I expect Musk to ditch Twitter as it has just been damaging to his career and reputation. It wasn’t worth all the money he lost, and I believe he was planning on Donald Trump actually returning to Twitter and receiving widespread appraisal from Republicans, but that did not happen.
3 – AI generated summaries
Summary: Elon Musk’s influence on Twitter has triggered a response from the left, as they feel his presence has “opened the gates of hell.” Critics view Musk’s tweeting as reckless and irresponsible, with some warning of the potential for damage to society. Others however point to how his presence is sparking an important conversation about technology’s impact on society.
Summary 2: Elon Musk announced measures to crack down on the press by censoring certain outlets. He claims that this move is to protect readers from inaccurate reporting, but critics suggest it’s an attempt to limit negative press coverage. The new policy requires journalists to sign a nondisclosure agreement before covering any of his companies, and also reserves the right for these companies to reject any stories.
4 – Comparison of my summary to the AI summary
- What biases seem evident is what is and isn’t in the AI summary? There seems to be little, but overall not much. It felt like for CNN, the AI got a pretty nonpartisan look at it. It took a stance where Musk was in the wrong, but didn’t really have a super negative view of him like I would have expected. For Fox news, it was a little surprising to see that they addressed the criticism while defending them. Overall, I think the AI did a good job ignoring biases and was pretty spot on.
- What do I notice about my own viewpoint after comparing it to the AI summary? I think my viewpoint was more biased than the AI. The AI did a great job at not being biased and for each news article, they at least acknowledged the criticism and showed another viewpoint of the issue.
- What questions do I have about the original articles? Does Fox/CNN support the banning of reporters on different political sides for no apparent reason?
- What questions for further research do I have about the issues raised by these articles?
- Why did Elon Musk ban left-leaning reporters for no apparent reason?
- How committed is Twitter to being impartial?
- Where does Musk find the line between free speech and hate speech?