The first time I’ve seen this tall, brown skin older man, with a tall hat and long shirt I was curious as who he was and why my Principal, Tabari Bomani was so eager to see him.  This man that my Principal was conversing with was Mr.Stanley Kinard. Mr. Kinard was an educator who served as Founder and long-time Executive Director of the Carter C. Woodson Cultural Literacy Project. Mr. Kinard was very important to the majority of the people on Boys & Girls campus including the alumni. Mr.Kinard was a very inspirational and motivational man that taught many people of all ages things they never knew before in many conferences, speeches etc.

The last time I’ve spoken to Mr.Kinard was during a meeting I had with people who support South Africa from the UN.   In this meeting, we spoke and discussed many things regarding the history of South Africa, the discrimination of black South Africans, if they were working on the racial problems that black South Africans were facing, Apartheid etc . As many students who attended this meeting were asking these people those type of questions they ended up getting offended and started to become a little bit hostile in the way they would answer questions, believe it or not, the people who came one person was a white South African older male and the other was young South African light skin women. After everything was over, I was talking and Mr.Kinard had told me that the older white South African male started to get offended when we brought up concerns about his own kind because he doesn’t want to admit and accept the fact that what his people did and are doing is wrong. One of the many steps of grief the “angry” stage.

Mr.Kinard was a very bright and brilliant man, it broke my heart to hear he passed due to his illness. He was loved by many & taught many including myself. He has made many accomplishments in attempting to solve long term problems in education and economic development which is crucial to the residents of Bedford Stuyvesant, Ocean Hill, Brownsville and East Flatbush. This man was very significant to the Brooklyn community it’s very heartbreaking that we lost him but his accomplishments, inspirational speeches & lessons will never be forgotten and neither will he.

R.I.P. Stanley Kinard

Lona
May 29, 2019 1:01 pm

Dear Kimani,

What a wonderful piece about Stan Kinard! Thank you for sharing your experiences and interactions with this important civil rights icon and activist. He was an important advocate for the Central Brooklyn Community and beyond. He will surely be missed. Rest in Power, Baba Stan Kinard…

Lona

1
0
()