Susana Vaca Segura
August 25, 2021 3:13 pm

Dear Ashanti,

I am very touched by your poem, “R.I.P Selena Reyes-Hernandez”. This is the type of poem that hits different parts of me, I was raised the same way. I am not transgender but I am bisexual, I was always told that being a woman and liking a woman was wrong, that God only made men and women love each other. Not a woman with a woman or a man with a man.

The quote that stood out to me was, “I don’t want to be called ‘tranny’…” since it shows how she was treated when she came out. Where I am from, saying those slurs are considered okay but honestly it is very wrong. They usually say the f slur, the one used to target queers, as a way to call someone when they show affection to one of their friends. It is truly not okay.

Thank you for writing this. I look forward to seeing one of your poems. This really touched my heart and I hope that Selena is in a much better place, she didn’t deserve that. Thank you for telling her story.

1
0
()