Lots of people have recently come to the conclusion that the construction of highways and highway systems that were built in spite of minority communities affect our cities today.  I agree with this because these highways are the route to the current traffic jams that happen in these cities.  The construction of these highways relate directly to urban planning. The traffic jam in Atlanta Georgia being a prime example of this.  The reasons for these traffic jams date back to when the highways were first built post civil war.  

Post civil war the abolishment of slavery came about and those who were slave masters had no reason to stay around black people.  This would then be the start of why there was segregation.  White people forced minorities into places of lower quality and with less funding.  After forcing minorities into these places contractors came up with the idea to divide the city of Atlanta segregating blacks from whites.  They began building over and destroying homes to make highway systems.  This caused some to have to leave their homes in support of these highways. The way these highways were constructed were in spite of black people meaning that some of these highways were built in odd ways just to separate the two races.  Now going back to today the highways that were built are constructed so oddly that they have effects on traffic.  This explains why traffic jams in Atlanta are so bad.

To sum things up, the highways that were built post civil war targeted black people for segregation and now those same highways are the cause of traffic jams today.  This makes me wonder whether other highway systems in other cities were also built in support of the same reason and that’s why they have traffic jams also. This would make my statement true about how highways were built in spite of minority communities. 

Jeremy
April 5, 2024 10:16 pm

What first drew me in to read this is the title and more specifically the cover photo, I would just like to know the significance of it. I think it’s very unique how you made connections to the civil war from the article we read, and your question at the end is interesting, and maybe that is just why there are traffic jams in other places besides Atlanta

Brianna
April 5, 2024 2:56 pm

Quadir, I liked that your text made connections all the way from the civil war. I also noticed that your text highlighted and made connections through different topics like urban planning and highway construction. I just wanted to know, How does your image connect to your text?

Cianna White
April 5, 2024 2:44 pm

Although I am not fond of the picture, the vibrant colors drew me in. What is the connection between the cover photo and the text? Your writing is very strong. I was impressed by the metaphors that you used.

Laila
April 5, 2024 2:15 pm

What is this image? Like what was the point or the significance of it? I do believe that your writing is very strong and holds a lot of power. However, maybe if you added how things could be changed or how we might be able to “fix things,” it could make for a stronger article. However, Quadir I think your writing is very interesting and makes for a very good piece! Good job!

Ben kelly
April 5, 2024 1:17 pm

The imagery in the title was chosen as an evocative metaphor. The tangled roads and vehicles are meant to mirror the complex web of systemic inequities that have been built into our urban environments over generations. Just as a traffic jam can seem like an impossible problem on the surface, the deep-rooted racial divisions and discriminatory policies that have shaped the development of our cities can also feel daunting to unravel.

Kiyerah
April 4, 2024 10:53 pm

Quadir the way your picture’s disconnect from the story is intriguing, yet it compels one to pause and explore. Its charm lies in defying conventions, prompting curiosity and a desire to uncover hidden connections. This enigmatic image captivates and leaves us enthralled, eager to unravel its mysteries.

Iman
April 4, 2024 3:09 pm

Hey Quadir, The way you go into the history of slavery and why segregation became such an important factor in the design of Atlanta’s infrastructure is quite informative. You also discuss how this building directly impacted existing black neighborhoods, which provides a different perspective to consider. Can you explain the intended significance behind the imagery in your title?

Rossanna
April 3, 2024 4:44 pm

I like the bright vibrant colors of the post. I interpret the picture as a bird being free in the city of Atlanta. I agree with you in this statement “White people forced minorities into places of lower quality and with less funding. After forcing minorities into these places contractors came up with the idea to divide the city of Atlanta segregating blacks from whites.”

Marcus
April 3, 2024 3:08 pm

I was drawn in by the bright vibrant colors of the post and after reading what the author wrote, I feel like I can view the whole Traffic Jam article differently now. I feel like I have a new perspective on things

Qaydu
April 3, 2024 2:59 pm

What initially drew me to this post was the colorful picture, although I can’t tell how it connects to the topic. I like how you analyzed the way traffic jams connect to segregation and intentionally displacing minority communities.

Joy
Joy
April 3, 2024 2:57 pm

The way you delve into the history of slavery and why exactly segregation came to be such a large influence in the construction of Atlanta’s infrastructure is really insightful. You also go into detail about how this construction directly affected black communities that were already there, which provides a new perspective to think about. Can I ask what the intended meaning behind the imagery in your title is?

Last edited 2 months ago by Joy

11
0
()