My Intro

The following writing is made with the use of AI and incorporates words of mine, Faith Hauger. As AI becomes more and more popular, it’s important to learn how to utilize it as it is another tool we can all add to our toolboxes. It’s fairly simple to use, helpful in various situations, and, although some may choose to deny this, it’s the future. With this writing, I think that AI did a good job of bringing together my miscellaneous thoughts and creating cohesive writing that does make contextual sense. Although this version created by AI is fairly good, that’s not to say that there were a few trials that weren’t so successful. As I’ve learned, to get the most out of AI, it’s best to make specific requests and be thorough in your prompts. So, to have made this essay even better, I probably could have added a few additional instructions. No matter how useful, using AI for essays does feel a little odd to me, and I honestly would much rather write essays on my own and use AI for editing and revisions, even though that’s more work for me. 

Epigraph

“The future won’t be like the present,” Kiese Laymon’s novel Long Division begins. This quote encapsulates the various themes of the novel, from the uncertainty of the future to the cyclical nature of life. Laymon’s novel is full of characters that face difficult choices and must confront the consequences of their past decisions. Through Faith H’s comments on the text, we can analyze three themes of the novel: LaVander’s attitude towards City, Shalaya’s focus on the future, and City’s idolization of Shalaya.

LaVander’s Attitude Towards City

The first theme is LaVander’s attitude toward City. Faith H writes, “Why is LaVander always saying things like this to City? It makes me wonder about their past together and what might’ve happened to cause LaVander to act like this.” This comment shows that Faith H is curious about LaVander’s behavior towards City and how their past might be influencing it. LaVander’s attitude towards City is an important theme in the novel, as we see how their past experiences shape their present interactions. LaVander’s sentences are long and difficult to follow, and Faith H notes that “it’s like you get lost in all his words and it doesn’t even make sense anymore.” This further emphasizes LaVander’s attitude towards City, as it seems like he is trying to confuse City with his words.

Shalaya’s Focus on the Future

The second theme is Shalaya’s focus on the future. Faith H writes, “I wonder why Shalaya is so focused on the future. Would loving City right now change so much?” This comment shows that Faith H is curious about why Shalaya is so focused on the future and what it would mean if she loved City right now. Shalaya is constantly thinking about the future and her plans, while City is more focused on the present. This is an important theme in the novel, as it shows the difference between how Shalaya and City view the world. Shalaya is constantly striving for something better, while City is content with the present. 

City’s Idolization of Shalaya

The third theme is City’s idolization of Shalaya. Faith H writes, “The way he talks about her makes it seem as though he really idolizes her. He listens to everything she says and thinks all these amazing things of her.” This comment shows that Faith H is aware of City’s admiration for Shalaya and how it affects their relationship. City looks up to Shalaya and respects her opinion, and this idolization is an important theme in the novel. It is clear that City is in love with Shalaya, and this admiration often leads him to make decisions in order to please her.

Conclusion

Through Faith H’s comments on the text, we can analyze three themes of Kiese Laymon’s novel Long Division: LaVander’s attitude towards City, Shalaya’s focus on the future, and City’s idolization of Shalaya. These themes are important to the novel, as they show the way that past experiences shape the present and how one’s focus on the future can shape the way they interact with others. We are still left with some questions, such as why LaVander behaves the way he does and what City’s idolization of Shalaya will mean for their future. As we continue to read, these questions will hopefully be answered.

Alana
May 2, 2023 10:24 pm

While I enjoyed reading how you connected AI with Long Division. I enjoyed looking at your image and how it corresponded with your writing. I also love the fact that you included your opinion about AI, what you could have done to make AI understand your writing better, and how you also gave tips to future users of AI.

Anisa
May 2, 2023 2:45 pm

It’s fascinating to see how AI technology can assist in bringing together various thoughts and ideas to create a cohesive piece of writing.I also like how you highlight the importance of being specific with prompts and instructions to get the most out of AI technology. Although AI is becoming more popular and is the future, there is still a sense of discomfort when using it for essays, and some individuals prefer to use it for editing and revisions. However, as AI technology continues to develop and improve, it will undoubtedly become an invaluable tool in the world of writing and beyond.

Hayley Bartholomew-Lowery
May 2, 2023 2:07 pm

Faith- The image above gives me a great idea of your connection with the characters. The picture gives you an overall view of the book with infused with AI.

Ebenezer
May 2, 2023 2:03 pm

The introduction and epigraph sections provide a well-thought-out context for the analysis that follows. Your approach to using AI as a tool for your writing process is an interesting take and demonstrates your adaptability to new technologies. The analysis of the three themes—LaVander’s attitude towards City, Shalaya’s focus on the future, and City’s idolization of Shalaya—is insightful, showing a deep understanding of Kiese Laymon’s novel Long Division. There is room for improvement in the clarity and organization of your writing. It could be helpful to provide more specific examples from the text to support your analysis of the themes. Additionally, consider using transitions between your paragraphs and themes to create a smoother flow in your writing. Lastly, you may want to focus on LaVander’s speech patterns, as it is mentioned briefly but not fully explored in the analysis.Your conclusion does a great job of summarizing the themes and tying them back to the novel as a whole. It also effectively leaves the reader with questions to ponder as they continue to read the novel. Overall, your writing displays a genuine interest in the subject matter and an ability to think critically about the themes within the novel. Keep up the great work!

Fury
May 2, 2023 2:02 pm

I really like your explanation of AI. I think it’s very intuitive and interesting. I like how you talk about how you would prefer writing your own essay and then using AI to add on revisions and such after you’re down because I feel the same way.

Isaiah
May 2, 2023 1:56 pm

Dear Faith,

Your analysis on AI as a tale of trial and error is immaculately accurate. You seem to characterize AI as a slightly annoyed teenager who will deliberately place things that are detrimental to the work simply because you didn’t specify the instructions to an absolute point. This was a common occurrence through my experience with using AI and I’m glad I’m not the only person running into this!

To further analyze more, you elaborate from this post that the AI-altered essay refers to you in your full name as opposed to the 1st person. It should be commonplace practice that analysis essays are to be written in the 1st person, but you have to be considering the fact that AI takes into account of everything. Since you don’t tell it to speak in first person it’s going to “take advantage” of your own carelessness despite you yourself knowing that essays SHOULD be written in the 1st person. This dynamic of AI brews a love-hate relationship out of me, loving and hating it at the same time. AI’s ability to do wonderful things but backhand you for not telling it the most simplest, or implied instructions.

Nonetheless, I really think you should expand more upon your odd interest in AI. You have some key points that can really brought up to the engineers behind the programming of Youth Voice’s AI in order to forge it into something greater!

6
0
()