My response to Makayla’s Youth Voices Commentary The World Doesn’t Love You; My Mother’s Life (Feminist Perspective), a book review of Born A Crime, by Trevor Noah.

Sentence, Phrase, Word 

• Abel was not a man because Patricia did everything a man was supposed to do.
  • Free-roaming spirit. 
  • Altered

Brief  Reflection : 

I chose the sentence” Abel was not a man because Patricia did everything a man was supposed to do.” because it meant that Patricia did what she had to do for her family and did not care for gender roles and she did all of these things like working and providing on her own without a man’s help. 

I chose the Phrase”Free-roaming spirit” because it explains Patricia perfectly.Patricia went through so much but still found ways to stay strong and do the best for he somewhat family. Basically just her children because Abel was abusive towards her.

I chose “Altered” as my word because this is technically what Patricia had to do all her life in order to take care of her family. She altered the rules of the female traditions in South Africa.Patricia would have gender roles but did not care and altered it in order to take care of herself and her children.