In the article “The sneaky truth about memes” (upfront, Laura Anastasla 2021). I learned that memes sometimes have a specific message they try conveying, mainly trying to choose a side or call out something. For instance, people usually post a meme calling out someone or something they disagree with. An example that was said in the article was, let’s say someone finds or creates a meme of a particular football team, making fun of the team or even just showing off a particular game they won, when in reality that football team has been losing the whole season, people will catch on to this and find it offensive from either side, leading to the unnecessary drama that is just so outside of what a meme is supposed to be.

I believe That memes should be able to be shared if you believe they are funny. Now just because they are funny you’d also have to be considerate and think if sharing this meme could offend others. Although yes, there can be different types of humor when it comes to memes, always making sure who you’re sending it to is something you should always consider. Finding out who typically would make this type of meme.

Do you ever find certain memes offensive to you? Have you ever seen the purpose behind specific memes?

Omar
September 25, 2022 9:38 pm

Dear Juan, I am intrigued by your article, “The untold truth about memes” because it talks about a topic that is all too familiar. I always understood that memes were just supposed to not just be a joke, but as you said, they convey messages. I think memes are a big part of today’s culture, especially regarding the sense of humor in our generation. One sentence that stands out for me is your example that you used in paragraph one from the Upfront article when it says “let’s say someone finds or creates a meme of a particular football team, making fun of the team or even just showing off a particular game they won, when in reality that football team has been losing the whole season, people will catch on to this and find it offensive from either side, leading to the unnecessary drama that is just so outside of what a meme is supposed to be.” I think this is relatable because I am exposed to these kinds of memes regarding sports all the time. The comment sections of sports memes on platforms such as Instagram or TikTok are full of people who actually thought it was funny and fans of the team that was targeted by the meme being offended and getting into arguments with one another. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this was a topic that a lot of people should be able to relate to. As someone who is always exposed to memes in some shape or form, this post caught my attention and I will certainly monitor when you write your next one.

1
0
()