group of boys wearing blue school uniforms photo

The talk on private schools being able to wear what they want isn’t talked about enough. The same arguments are talked about over and over again on a daily basis, they never seem to be answered because no one has an answer. One question that is always asked is that, why can’t kids in private schools wear what they want, what can’t they have that freedom? Others asked everyone is the same when they wear the same clothes, why giving them a change of clothes gives them freedom. Wearing whatever you want helps you express yourself, let’s you be who you want to be in life let’s you be the greatest you. Let’s enjoy life a little more, but having you wear a uniform in school should be ok because it gives you one less thing to worry about. 

In public schools there is a statistic that always happens to get higher and it’s the fact of someone getting bullied for what they are wearing. “limit or control “clothes shaming”—some parents in a public school in which I taught brought this up. In particular the mothers of female students suggested school uniforms as a way to make shopping for school clothes less stressful.” https://www.quora.com/Why-do-all-private-schools-wear-uniforms In private school you see this less because why would you make fun of someone that is wearing your shirt. When you lift the stress of not wearing your own clothes, school becomes more relevant, it becomes a thing you can enjoy because you have one less thing to worry about. You draw less attention when your clothes are the same, you have less of a chance of someone getting out of their way to hurt someone else. 

It takes away the freedom factor, school shouldn’t be a place that you worry about freedom. It’s a place that you should feel safe and comfortable to show who you are. When eliminating the clothes factor that task has become easier. Schools already have a tough time getting with the times already imagine private schools trying to keep order when clothes are a free will to kids, there would be no reason to call it a private school anymore. “distinguish itself from public schools—somewhat elitist, but part of what the parents want for their bucks would be the exclusive look that the private school brings.” https://www.quora.com/Why-do-all-private-schools-wear-uniforms

Sam
February 9, 2021 4:35 pm

Nice Job Diego!

I really liked how you showed both sides of the argument and you weren’t really biased towards one side or the other. I have never really thought about school uniforms this deeply. As a kid coming from a school with school uniforms, I don’t like them. I want to be able to wear whatever I want and express who I am through clothes. But there are also many benefits to uniforms, like not getting bullied on what you wear or not having to worry about what you are going to wear. This argument can go both ways.

Here is another article on the pros and cons of uniforms that I think you might enjoy.
https://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/school-uniforms/

January 4, 2021 2:20 am

Dear Diego,
This was a very intresting and informative piece about an issue that is not talked about enough. Many private school kids wish they could wear what ever they wanted too without thinking about the advantages of wearing a uniform. My favorite point that you mentioned was the fact that many public school kids are bullied and made fun of for what they choose to wear to school. This is a real concern and is probably the best argument for why schools should have uniforms. I also liked how you mentioned that students focus less when they are distracted by what they or others are wearing to school. This piece that you wrote has made me realize that uniforms do more good than harm.

Zachary
December 18, 2020 1:22 am

Dear Diego,
I am intrigued by your post because I never thought much of school uniforms and the meaning behind them. It never occurred to me that people are less likely to be bullied for their clothes when they all wear the same uniform.One thing you said that stands out for me is: “it’s the fact of someone getting bullied for what they are wearing” I think this is interesting because I believe that no matter what students are going to make fun of and bully one another but to me it is just the matter of what they say or do and how they do it. Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. When I was in elementary school I got into lots of trouble for fighting and got suspended many times. I never felt insulted by the bullies when they would make fun of me because I always knew I could beat them half dead if I chose to so it never fazed me.Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I am interested to see more on what you write about and providing an interesting perspective that I never would have thought of.

3
0
()