comfort room signage

In today’s day and age, many might argue that when it comes to gender roles for both men and women, women are the ones that have it harder. However, this is not always true. Issues relating to female discrimination have been considered and attended to over the last century.

It is true that if one looks back a hundred years or so that women definitely did not have all the rights that they deserved, but we have come a long way since then. Society has spent quite a bit of time considering women’s rights and expectations, yet we fail to consider what this issue might be like for men.

As Hentschel, Hellman, and Peus state in their article on The Multiple Dimensions of Gender Stereotypes, “…stereotypes also can induce faulty assessments of people – i.e., assessments based on generalization from beliefs about a group that do not correspond to a person’s unique qualities.” Along with women, the stereotype for men should be taken into consideration as well.

From a young age, most boys are taught how to act as a male would. In a bit posted by Colorado university they state that “In most homes, boys are told that “boys don’t cry” and to “man up”.  These colloquialisms are ways of relaying the message that as a member of a certain gender, there are rigid expectations.” In relationships, men are the ones who are expected to make the first move and pay for the woman’s dinner. While all these things are good and gentleman-like, women need to do their part in a relationship as well.

Finding the balance between household responsibilities or responsibilities in a relationship is crucial. Expectations should be set by the couple, not what society says. This is explained on the website Rm 2B safe for youth when they explain, “If you or your dating partner feel as if you have to live up to these images, then there might be conflict, disappointment, and frustration.” Therefore, it is not only women who struggle with the idea of gender stereotypes, but it is also men as well and it is crucial to take both into consideration. 

Works Cited:

Hentschel, T., Heilman, M., & Peus, C. (2019, January 04). The Multiple Dimensions of  Gender Stereotypes: A Current Look at Men’s and Women’s Characterizations of Others and Themselves. Retrieved October 22, 2020, from    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.00011/full

Men and Masculinities. (n.d.). Retrieved October 22, 2020, from https://wgac.colostate.edu/education/gender-and-identity/men-and-masculinities/

Stereotypes & Relationships. (2017, March 31). Retrieved October 22, 2020,  https://www.roomtobesafe.org/knowledge-center/healthy-and-unhealthy-relationships/stereotypes-and-relationships/

1. Kaileigh 2 weeks ago

Evelyn,
    I really enjoyed your article on the back and forth that is gender roles and stereotypes. I found your comment, “the stereotype for men should be taken into consideration as well,” very intriguing because in today’s world, many feminists fail to recognize both genders in their argument for equality. I can say for myself that I can get caught up in empowering women and focus less on male equality consequentially. Thank you for writing this very interesting article. I think more people need to read it!

2. Izzy 4 weeks ago

Evelyn,
    I agree with your argument that the expectations men have to uphold are not in proportion to what is expected of women. I find your comment “we fail to consider what this issue might be like for men“ interesting because with the increase in feminists, many do tend to forget how the other end of the gender spectrum is effected. With regards to your comment about the emotional expectations of men, I found this Forbes article that dives deep into the definitions of masculinity In comparison to what society accepts from women (https://www.forbes.com/sites/shelleyzalis/2019/01/22/the-future-of-masculinity-overcoming-stereotypes/#7928aed51af3 ). The article makes a critical point that in the work place, men who cry are seen as less competent than women who cry because of such gender stereotypes. Thank you for taking the time to write on such an important topic, an overall great job and I look forward to future posts!