Recently, I read The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides.  I appreciated the shock this book gave. So much goes one in this book as a whole. The beginning and ending are equally as good.

The protagonist is Theo Faber.His story is set in Europe, specifically London and the hospital called The Grove. The significance of the Grove setting is that most of the story takes place there. It is where Theo works with Alicia. The significance of the setting shifting from London to The Grove is that in the other settings Theo seemed to have a lot of trauma from his time with his Father. In The Grove Theo is able to work with others. 

Theo faces certain forces and pressures. He has to figure a way to make Alicia one of his patients speak. He meets these forces and pressures by deciding to let Alicia’s medication be lowered. You can see this early in the book on page 63.

The tension rises when Alicia puts a Paint brush in Eli’s eye. This might leave a reader feeling shocked.In the book Theo hears someone screams and all of the doctors go to see them covered in blood but not their own blood. It was one of the patient’s blood. Eli had written over Alicia’s painting which provoked Alicia’s.

The book climaxes when you find out that Theo was the person to sort of motivate Alicia to kill her husband Gabriel. “That night, Theo broke into the house and tied me up—and when Gabriel came home, Theo knocked him out. At first I thought he’d killed him—but then I saw Gabriel was breathing. Theo pulled him up and tied him to the chair. He moved it so Gabriel and I were sitting back-to-back, and I couldn’t see his face.”

The falling action ultimately resolves the conflict. Theo was finally caught to be the reasoning behind everything.  It’s a society type of conflict that’s driving this story. The issue’s starts when it was found out that Gabriel was cheating on Alicia with Theo’s wife Katy. More issues added up to it but most it seems that the whole conflict started with a story of cheating.

1. Alex 1 week ago

Dear heather:
    I am interested in your post , “The silent patient,” because the book took a twist that I did not expect. books with these twists are more exciting to read because you never know whats happening or what is going to happen.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “The book climaxes when you find out that Theo was the person to sort of motivate Alicia to kill her husband Gabriel.” I think this is surprising because you would never think that someone treating a patient would be the one to help in things like murdering someone.

Another sentence that I saw was: “ I appreciated the shock this book gave. So much goes one in this book as a whole. The beginning and ending are equally as good .” This stood out for me because that sentence pretty much summed up your whole post.

I do agree with you that a lot goes on in the book. One reason I say this is you would not expect someone to motivate their patient to kill someone else. Another reason I agree with you is that the motivation that Theo had to motivate Alicia would make sense.

Have you seen the movie/show called “the Haunting of Bly Manor? I thought you might be interested in this because of the twists in that movie/show.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because the book you found is a book that I would like to be reading. -Alex C