A Harrowing Tale of Destruction and Resilience

Uncover the untold history and captivating truths behind the razing of Atlanta during the Civil War – Prepare to be captivated.When examining the article “A Traffic Jam in Atlanta,” it becomes clear that urban development has significant implications for segregation and social equality. The use of terms like “redlining” and “razing” in the article highlights the impact of newly constructed roads on Atlanta’s neighborhoods. These roads often cut through predominantly black communities, resulting in destruction and segregation. This issue is further compounded by the rejection of MARTA, Atlanta’s public transportation system, on three separate occasions. It is evident that the construction of these roads carries more weight than simply causing traffic congestion.

I pose the question “would MARTA make a significant difference if it was not rejected?” In my opinion I think it would because with the introduction of MARTA there would not need to be so many roads. It is proven that some people vote against MARTA because of their own personal ideals and biases. It states “One white property manager in her late 50s told a reporter that she voted against mass transit because it was used by poorer residents and immigrants, whom she called “illegals.”” If Marta was established then it would suppress the problem or it might completely solve the problem all together.

The practice of redlining, which began after World War II, has been used as a means of segregation. Essentially, it involves creating barriers to prevent the advancement of black individuals in Atlanta. However, this strategy for urban development has not been beneficial for the city. In fact, it is believed that the motivation behind it is rooted in racism. As one individual stated to a reporter, those in power may publicly deny being racist, but behind closed doors, their true, blatant racism is revealed. This has been a long-standing issue in Atlanta.

Rashad
April 4, 2024 7:09 pm

I think that this is a very high quality essay. I also enjoy how you posed a question in your essay to leave the reader with something to think about. I could tell you put much thought into this.

Qaydu
April 3, 2024 3:37 pm

What initially drew me to this post was the interesting picture which reminded me of an old video game. The only critique was it was hard to tell what the structure of the essay is. However this essay is very well written.

Jonathan Byrd
April 3, 2024 3:03 pm

Overall your article was well done and I also totally support your research.
That urban development has supported redlining in neighborhoods with people of color.
In poor areas of the city also your research on Martha was well done as well giving more evidence on why white people were against it because it would help people of color support the racism

Last edited 3 months ago by Jonathan

3
0
()