During our high school years, the center of attention, without fail, is drama from relationships and the pressure that surrounds relationships. There is a new level of freedom that comes with going to high school, getting a driver's license, relationships, making new friends and getting your first job. There are certain obstacles that we will encounter and you have to learn to overcome them. Social media is one of the biggest obstacles. Through our phones, “we are constantly exposed to the turbulent, unpredictable and terrifyingly permanent world of social media” (Teen Connect Tampa Bay). You can spend hours scrolling, liking, and reposting until you lose all track of time. The pictures we see while we are scrolling are made to look perfect. People will only show what they want you to see on their perfect profile page. This can start to make you feel guilty or bad about your life, like you aren’t doing enough and not being productive enough. It has a huge effect on high schoolers because it can control the way you’re feeling. If you see pictures or videos of couples on social media it can create a feeling of emptiness and the fear of missing out. As a result of this, there comes a certain amount of pressure to find the perfect person to date. One who posts all the right things. The anxiety of dating in high school can feel like a weight on your shoulders. In an interview I came across, a 17 year old girl said she feels that dating is “added stress in teens’ lives” and more gossip for students to talk about (Teen Connect Tampa Bay). High schoolers need to realize that you shouldn’t start dating if you don’t know who you are yet, or don’t love yourself enough to be able to love someone else. You should not force into a relationship because if you do, it will most likely not last, or someone will end up getting hurt. In conclusion, high schoolers should not feel pressured to date or to meet someone while they are still learning about themselves. There is enough pressure that comes with school, family and growing up, and you don’t need to add to the pressure by getting into a relationship when you’re not ready.

This was really well written! I couldn’t agree more that pressures of social media are just added stress to a teenagers life. I feel like people shouldn’t be rushed into anything based on those pressures until they figure out who they are as their own person. You touched base on how relationships can cause anxiety and different emotions brought out through social media, expanding on those effects would really drive your central point and complete the piece. Great job!

JULIA!! I could not agree more and I love the way you bring the pressures of society in teenagers to life! I think it would be really cool if you added more information about the media effects it but good job!!!

I think it was right of you to say that in high school we feel a lot of pressure to act a certain way because I’ve witnessed it. I also agreed when you said how people can often feel like they need to be in a relationship from what they’ve seen on social media.

Madison

I agree, many people feel the need to get into a relationship just for the thrill of it. They don’t fully understand and think that it is what they HAVE to do. Not all relationships are going to be successful, and it often is due to a feeling of being rushed.

I agree, I think it can be very stressful and people make big deals out of it and force it but building relationships should be a natural process.

5
0
()