tilt selective photograph of music notes

Music is a universal language that impacts every single one of us in one way or another. No matter what style of music or artist you like, we can all say that at one point in our lives, we have been greatly moved or inspired by the lyrics of a song or even just by the song itself. Oftentimes, people express their emotions through music when they are unable to convey them to others. Many find that music is their escape from the real world and the power each song holds in its lyrics is almost more effective than if the words were just spoken. The fact that music has the power to change a mood, shift and atmosphere, and encourage a different kind of behavior in people is truly amazing (Huang). Sometimes we can’t always find the right words to express how we feel but we may find a song that does it perfectly for us. This comfort we feel through song is one of the many reasons why music is a truly powerful language. 

In society today, new and more advanced technology has allowed us to incorporate music into many of our life experiences such as listening to the radio on our way to work or school as well as while we study or exercise (Da Silva). We hear music almost everywhere we go. Many musicians write music to inspire change, specifically social change. Discussing social issues isn’t always easy, but something about expressing these issues through music is more effective than if it was written out in a speech. Musicians write lyrics expressing different social issues in hopes that others will truly listen and spread the message the song is conveying. There are a variety of different ways to inspire change through music which makes it even more unique. No matter what type of music you listen to, each song conveys a message that speaks directly to you. It is only when you take a closer look at the lyrics or really “feel” the music that you truly understand how powerful the words can be.

Da Silva, Dana. “Music Can Change the World | Africa Renewal.” United Nations, United Nations, www.un.org/africarenewal/magazine/december-2013/music-can-change-world.

Huang, Belinda. “What Kind of Impact Does Our Music Really Make on Society?” Sonicbids Blog – Music Career Advice andGigs,blog.sonicbids.com/what-kind-of-impact-does-our-music-really-make-on-society.

Williamson, Victoria. “Emotional Responses to Music: The Influence of Lyrics.” Music Psychology, 14 Jan. 1970, musicpsychology.co.uk/emotional-responses-to-music-the-influence-of-lyrics/.

#RHS

February 18, 2021 11:03 pm

I really like how you related music to social issues. You also showed how music relates to personal aspects of one’s life. Music contributes to style and a level of comfort. Many people use it as a form of language or inspiration. I relate to this because before a softball game, I use music to get me energized and gain a sense of confidence.

February 17, 2021 4:47 pm

Meghan,

I loved when you said, “This comfort we feel through song is one of the many reasons why music is a truly powerful language.” If I can relate to the message of a song I’m listening to, it can help me to feel less alone in what I’m going through. Having songs that can help us through tough times is an awesome gift we are able to have. I also think that it is great that artists are using their songs to help spread messages about social issues. Famous artists have such large audiences, that by using the platform they have to spread awareness on the issues, it can really start a big change.

January 29, 2021 3:43 am

Meghan,
I love how you mentioned that music has the power to change our moods and how it is a language of its own. Even if its not always understandable music can touch people in many forms and display feelings that are hard to express through words and actions. On a personal level music has helped me learn English and communicate on a different level than speaking. Music is a way where we escape from the chaotic world to our own little place, that’s the power of music.

January 23, 2021 8:57 pm

Meghan,
I liked how you said that music can influence how you feel. Expanding on that I think you could even say that music can influence how you feel about other people. For example if you listen to the same kind of music as someone else you might feel more inclined to be friends with them.

January 23, 2021 6:56 am

Meghan,

I liked how you included how music also helps express social issues because it overall helps convey how musical is personal to you. It helps depict your style and how we feel comfort through music as a form of language.

5
0
()