Imagine being able to speak and communicate with people but without having 

to physically speak. This may sound strange at first but there is a language that can help you accomplish this; Sign language. As defined by the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, “sign language is a complete, natural language that has the same linguistic properties as spoken languages.” (“American Sign Language”). This is the primary language to those who are deaf or hard of hearing and is used by those who can hear as well. Sign language is not just strictly used in America to speak English, it is used around the world in different languages accustomed to their own culture and dialogue. This will discuss the American Sign Language. People who are deaf or hard of hearing use this series of hand symbols or facial expressions to communicate their daily basic needs, have conversations with people, asking questions, and simple things we speak about everyday that we do not have to think about. Sign language is also seen as an art because it “transcends the dysfunctional neurological pathways to create genuine human connection” (Busch). It helps those who are hard of hearing to become less frustrated when trying to communicate with someone who is of hearing. It makes them feel more control over what they are trying to communicate and because of this you create that emotional connection. There is a complete alphabet of hand signals that represent each letter of the English alphabet. There are also signals that can mean an entire phrase with just one movement or facial expression. “1 in 20 Americans are currently dead or hard of hearing” (Mitchell) which shows the importance of the language. If the language is taught to the child in question at an early age, they can learn as easily as learning the spoken language. 

“American Sign Language.” National Institute of Deafness and Other 

Communication Disorders, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 5 Nov. 2020, www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/american-sign-language. 

in-Training, Matthew Busch. “Training.” In, 6 Oct. 2020, 

in-training.org/american-sign-language-and-the-power-of-communication-19076. 

RE;, Mitchell. “How Many Deaf People Are There in the United States? Estimates 

from the Survey of Income and Program Participation.” Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, U.S. National Library of Medicine, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16177267/.