character hand wallpaper

Imagine if you woke up one day and no one said a word. The way we talk defines who we are. Having language allows us to communicate with others in a way they can understand. Communicating allows us to express ourselves, our ideas and our thoughts with others. Although communicating is an important skill, we must be able to understand what is being communicated to us. The power of language can be most important in expressing our feelings to people in order to grow a better relationship with them or to feel better about something bothering us. This skill can be used best when one is struggling with a mental disorder and needs to communicate with someone in order to cope with the disorder. 

As someone who struggles from depression and anxiety, I know how hard it can be to cope with mental disorders of all sorts. “Psychotherapy, or talk therapy, is a way to help people with a broad variety of mental illnesses and emotional difficulties. Psychotherapy can help eliminate or control troubling symptoms so a person can function better and can increase well-being and healing.”   For some, hearing the word “therapy” can be scary because talking about problems you’re having to someone you don’t even know can be intimidating. “The fact is, everyone needs a good coach or teammate sometimes.” A therapist is taught to listen and understand the needs of patients while having good communication skills to help them feel heard. Because of the power of language in both the patient and the therapist, therapy sessions can allow the patient to cope with the mental illness and continue on with life. 

Citations 

What Is Psychotherapy?, www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/psychotherapy

“How Effective Is Counseling For Mental Health Problems?” The Mens Doc, 12 Apr. 2016, themensdoc.com/talk-therapy-counseling-effectiveness/

0
()