neon light mounted on white surface

Language isn’t just about words, even if dictionaries state otherwise. Most of us communicate through words, yes, be that they are written, spoken, or signed. Still, most communication comprises facial expressions, physical cues, and ‘speaking’ with our eyes, also known as body language. Irrespective of its form, however, language serves the social practice of understanding one another, which, as a species, is essential to us. Still, it’s not the only reason why we do it. Essentially, language is used to communicate ideas, and because of this, it harbors a power we’re rarely conscious of. 

Being able to communicate effectively is one of the most crucial life skills to learn. Communication defines itself as transferring information to produce greater understanding. It can be exchanged verbally, through written media like books, websites, social media, or nonverbally through body language, gestures, pitch, and voice tone. These means of communication are essential life skills vital for many things like relationships with others, careers, teams, and many more. In contrast, poor communication skills lead to frequent misunderstandings and frustration. For example, poor communication in the workplace can look like a lack of specific communication, using the incorrect mediums to convey essential messages, passive-aggressive communication, lack of follow-through and consideration, blaming and intimidating others, failing to listen. 

Although if communicated right, the power of foreign languages is pretty powerful. It is no secret that Americans place very little importance on foreign language learning compared to other cultures. Foreign language study is all about learning how to communicate and connect with others. When you master a foreign language, you can expand your methods of communication. The more methods of communication you have under your belt the better. It helps us enable us to pass information from person to person easier and more effectively. 

1. Joey 1 month ago

I agree with your post. Language is much more than just words. It is a connection to all who know it. One sentence I liked was “Being able to communicate is one the most crucial life skills to learn.” I liked this sentence because language and connection is a requirement in the world today. Thank you for writing, Joey.

2. Ashley 2 months ago

Dear Ashley :
    I agree with your post, “The Power of Language,” because language has more to do with rather than just using words. There are different types of ways that we can use to communicate with others. A physical language is a form of language most known as body language and is commonly used by everyone.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “These means of communication are essential life skills vital for many things like relationships with others, careers, teams, and many more. ” I think this is crucially important because it shows how communication is essential for different parts of life.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because of the way your writing brings the inside working of your mind and they are seen as valuable.
    Ashley.