I WASN’T BORN HERE MAN

BUT HERE I MOVED

WHEN I FIRST STEPPED INSIDE THIS ENORMOUS HIGH SCHOOL

EVERYONE SPEAKING WITH THEIR FRIENDS

AND THERE WAS I , STANDING AND FEELING LONELY

I WASN’T BORN HERE MAN

BUT HERE I STARTED MY CLASSES

AND WHAT FRUSTRATION WHEN YOU TRY TO MAKE FRIENDS

BUT NO ONE TRIES TO BE NICE WITH YOU

WHEN YOU TELL THEM HOW DIVERSE YOU CAN BE

AND THEY JUST NOD AT YOU

I WASN’T BORN HERE MAN

BUT HERE I STAYED

HOW DIFFICULT AND SAD IS TO BE FAR FROM HOME

NOT HAVING ANYONE THAT WOULD HUG ME

I WASN’T BORN HERE MAN

BUT HERE I WILL LIVE

AND EVENTUALLY DIE

I.S.O. by Victor Hernandez Cruz

By the way, this was my first year in high school when I moved from Brazil to the US.

Sorry if it is waaay shocking, but that is the reality.

AJ
AJ
March 28, 2017 12:32 pm

Hey Marcus, this was a very emotional poem and I can relate with you. It’s really hard to make friends when you move into a new city, or a new country. I hope that you’re doing well and that you make new friends.

Mathew
March 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Marcus I think that your poem is very inspiring because I am going to a new school and I thought that this would happen to me but we don know. I just think that this was a great idea to write because you are talking about how it was and how u felt. Hope it goes great for u! PS I am not in high school I don know how u feel but because my school goes kindergarten to 8th grade so I think this is great. Try your best to find friends. Smile More!

Tara
March 27, 2017 2:20 am

Marcus, this hit really close to home. High school is a tough place to fit in and if you don’t make friends it can make you feel like you’re unworthy to be there. This poem really shows the reader the depth of emotion behind the writer and makes the reader feel something relatable, which is something I really enjoy in poems.

Luca
March 27, 2017 1:08 am

Hello Marcus,

I Find your post really interesting because this happened to you. I feel very sorry for you and hope you will be able to find people who like you. Your message feels very powerful and very personal to you. It really hits the reader in the gut.

All the best

Luca

Pablo
March 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Dear Marcus,
OH BOY do I know that feeling, just that roller coaster of emotions, longing to be surrounded by the people who truly care. I just want to say, keep smiling, don’t let anyone make you feel belittled, and keep looking, you’ll eventually find people who truly care. Although, I still have yet to find that group, but I have a few individuals who actually care. I speak from personal experience, the transition is probably one of the most difficult times, especially at such a difficult time, as if high school isn’t already a big enough transition. Keep fighting, work hard, and make the best with your time, because as I always tell myself. Only four more years.

Naomi
March 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Hey Marcus!

Wow- bravo on your poem, it evoked so many strong emotions, and even more when you wrote that this is a true story about you. I just want to say that what your doing must be so difficult and that moving countries away from your family and friends is so courageous, great job, I’m cheering you on!

Alli
March 24, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi! Awesome poem. It was really deep and I could feel the emotion you put into it when you wrote it. I think a lot of people can relate to it in numerous ways. Great job.

branden
branden
March 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Hey Marcus, Dang this blog sent a lot of emotions my way. It’s crazy how no matter how hard we try to end bullying it is still very much a reality. I guess people will always hate on you no matter who you are. I heard it this song once it was like “you ain’t doin alright unless they hate”, so I guess in some ways it shows you doing well. I play sports for my high school and I’m usually one of the best athletes yet people still talk crap about it. I guess the only thing in our power is we just need to prove them wrong. It leaves me to ask you what do you use as motivations?

9
0
()